Available Services (Updated 5/26/20)
- Speak with a Planner LIVE: Monday through Friday 8am-Noon and 1-3pm: (831)420-5416
- Electronic/digital submittals are available beginning April 20, 2020.
Planning staff is working remotely on all planning applications received prior to March 17, 2020. Although public counters are closed, planners are available remotely, so please continue to submit inquiries by calling or emailing.
For general zoning inquiries or questions on specific projects, you can reach planners via email or by leaving a voicemail. Please be sure to leave the following information, if available:
- Property Address
- Name, Email, and Phone Contact
PLANNING PHONE: (831) 420-5416
PLANNING EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitting a Zoning Clearance Request
- Complete the Zoning Clearance Form
- Once necessary sections are complete, email it to email@example.com
For New Use: Complete Section 1, 2 and 3.
For same use : Section 1 and 3
Submitting a New Application
If you have general questions or are uncertain about how to write your project description, please contact us prior to submitting an application.
- Complete the online Land Use Application.
- Once submitted, your application is sent to the Current Planning Division for assignment.
Your assigned Planner will contact you within 2 working days to discuss your application, cost estimates, and next steps, including what is required for your submittal.
If you have revisions to submit, please connect with your assigned planner to submit revisions. Revisions should first be coordinated with the planner before electronic or hardcopy plan revisions are provided.
Feedback on Evolving Processes
Submitting permits electronically is a new and evolving process for us while we adapt to new circumstances due to COVID19. We appreciate your patience while we navigate this new territory. Please direct any constructive criticism regarding new processes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Planning Division
The Current Planning Division administers a variety of City regulations relating to physical development of the community.
- Answering zoning questions by email or by phone at (831)420-5416
- Maintains and updates the Current Cumulative Project List
- Reviewing proposed businesses and issuing zoning clearances for permitted uses
- Reviewing development plans submitted for building permits for compliance with the zoning code
- Reviewing land use applications such as use permits, variances, coastal permits, design permits, historic alteration and demolition permits, tentative parcel and tractmaps, etc.
- Preparing staff reports with findings and conditions to present before the Zoning Administrator, Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and City Council
- Conducting environmental reviews and coordinating environmental compliance activities of other city departments
- Preparing recommendations for zoning code amendments
- Attending neighborhood meetings to help answer questions/concerns over zoning issues or project details
- Investigating complaints regarding violations of zoning, housing, and property maintenance requirements and securing property owner compliance
- Monitoring conditions of approval and mitigation measures