Bren Lehr, City Clerk Administrator, MMC
809 Center Street, Room 9
Santa Cruz, California 95060
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 12 noon • 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
The City Clerk Administrator is appointed by the City Manager and is responsible to the City Council. The City Clerk shall perform other duties as required by the Charter of the City of Santa Cruz, the law, ordinance, or direction of the City Manager.
Santa Cruz City Clerk Vision - Mission - Values Statement
Strengthening public trust and increasing engagement in government by providing knowledgeable, exemplary customer service and furthermore bringing exceptional value to our profession.
To accurately document the legislative actions of the City Council; to efficiently organize, safeguard and make records accessible to staff and the public; to make government open and available to individuals via technology and personal assistance; to oversee free and open city elections for voters, impartially and in full accordance with the law; to offer respectful service to all customers with the highest standards of integrity and professionalism; and to collaboratively foster a courteous and enjoyable work environment for all.
• We maintain neutrality in our dealings with all customers by remaining unbiased and impartial.
• We provide service with high standards of ethical and professional conduct.
• We are adaptable to the changing needs of the community, City staff, elected officials and the evolving forms of technology.
• We respect our customers by recognizing that we are all equals, by listening with compassion, showing courtesy and by exhibiting empathy.
• We believe that humor can create a productive and healthy work environment.
- Prepares agendas and minutes, and provides support services for:
- City Council
- Industrial Development Authority
- Santa Cruz Public Improvement Financing Corporation
- Prepares agendas and agenda reports for the Internet
- Processes resolutions and ordinances
- Coordinates Television Cablecasting of City Council meetings with Comcast Community Television of Santa Cruz County
- Manages all advisory body information including rosters, resignations, applications, letters of appreciation, appointments and attendance reports
- Coordinates codification of ordinances into the Santa Cruz Municipal Code
- Custodian of the official City seal
- Administers Oaths of Office to board and commission members
- All claims and summonses against the City are received in this office. To request a claim form, please contact the Risk Manager's office at:
809 Center St, Room 7
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 420-5057 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides notary services (appointments preferred), or see a list of notaries in the Downtown area
Back to Top
- Receives, indexes, classifies and files records applicable to the actions of the City Council, Redevelopment Agency, Industrial Development Authority, and Santa Cruz Public Improvement Financing Corporation
- Researches and retrieves records for the public or city staff as requested, or provides oversight for staff or public to conduct their own research
- Maintains contract and deed inventories
Back to Top
- Coordinates the consolidation of all City Elections with the County of Santa Cruz, including Councilmember candidates and ballot measures
- Prepares the Candidates Information Guide for Council Elections
- Manages all the nominations for Council office
- Financial Filings (FPPC website)
- Receives all FPPC Statements of Economic Interest Form 700 filings by Councilmembers, Boards and Commissions, and designated employees
- Receives Campaign Statements on a continuing basis through the year as required by state and local law
- Monitors the filings and initiates amendments and updates to the City of Santa Cruz Conflict of Interest Code (Updated 5/26/2015)
- Promotes Voter Registration and Participation