CURRENT PART-TIME JOB OPENINGS
TEEN CENTER - Recreation Leader II - $11.0244/hour - Position Open Until Filled
Provide programming activities and teen mentorship for the Santa Cruz Teen Center. Under supervision aids in organization, implementation, and supervision of activities, programs, and special events at the Teen Center located at the Louden Nelson Community Center at 301 Center Street. Must maintain flexibility, as the Teen Center is open daily (weekday hours based on school schedules.) Recreation Leader II will also work at local Middle School lunch time programs.
TYPICAL DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Assists in organizing, and implementing daily activities at the Teen Center and at local Middle Schools.
• Supervises the maintenance of equipment, supplies, and facility; coordinates site and activities when needed with program partners.
• Prepares documents such as event flyers, program evaluation forms, publicity, permission slips etc.
• Completes department forms and reports as needed.
• Acts as cashier and makes deposits when required.
• Provides lead supervision for teen leaders, volunteer staff and program participants.
• Working knowledge of recreation programs, services and activities for teens and their appropriateness; and strong interest in working with teens and young adults.
• Interact effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals (teens, young adults, parent, business community).
• Respond calmly and effectively to spontaneous and/or emergency situations.
• Accurately prepare reports: weekly calendars, letters, program evaluation forms, memos, accident reports, parent correspondence, permission slips, etc.
• Attend all staff meetings
• Ability to work with teens & co-workers from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to enforce and explain program and facility guidelines, policies, and procedures.
• Flexibility and willingness to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to maintain neat appearance, and wear program uniform and closed toed shoes while working.
• Strong communication skills: ability to understand and give verbal and written instructions.
• Independently initiate and complete work activities.
• Effectively motivate and supervise a number of teens at one time.
• Clearance on fingerprinting of all employees is required before work begins.
• Must be 20 years old at time of hire.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or G.E.D. and 2 years of college experience.
• 1-2 years paid or unpaid experience leading activities in teen programs, activities or services in either a traditional or non-traditional recreation setting.
• Recreation, P.E. or Education/Child Development course work preferred.
• Possession and maintenance of current certification in First Aid and CPR prior to starting work.
• Proof of negative tuberculosis test or clear chest X-ray results.
OTHER HELPFUL SKILLS (not required):
• Bilingual/Bi-Cultural strongly desired
• Experience or knowledge of substance abuse issues (i.e. drugs and alcohol)
• Experience or knowledge of violence prevention issues in the youth community
• Familiarity with local community organizations and resources very useful
To apply fill out a City of Santa Cruz Job Application and return it to:
City of Santa Cruz Parks & Recreation Department, 323 Church Street, Santa Cruz, 95060
If you have questions call Robert Acosta at 831 420-5270 or email.
SPECIAL EVENTSRecreation Leader II - $11.0244/hour - Position Open Until Filled
Reports to: Recreation SupervisorDesignation: Temporary/ On Call
Program Length: Year round
Starting Wages/Hours: $10.5963/hr
Application deadline: Immediate. Return application to: Parks and Recreation Office, Attn: Special Events
323 Church Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
The City of Santa Cruz in an equal opportunity employer.
Under supervision of the Recreation Leader 4, assist in the administration of special events and other programs as needed.
• Assist with the day of duties of City special events and programs.
• Purchase, maintain and transport all event supplies.
• Work with the public to convey event information and direct customers to various activities within the event.
• May assist with parking direction/information for day of event parking.
• Move equipment and set up event tents and tabling.
• Report daily to Recreation Leader IV.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Independently initiate and complete work activities.
• Understand and give effective written and verbal instructions.
• Compose written correspondence, promotional materials and reports, i.e. press releases, PSAs, fliers, letters, memos, monthly reports, etc.
• Maintain accurate budgetary files, reports, and records.
• Interact effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals.
• Respond calmly and effectively to emergency situations.
• Effectively motivate and supervise event participants and spectators.
• Working knowledge of special events.
• Report to work on time, as scheduled.
• Willingness to work irregular schedule.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High school graduate or G.E.D.
• Neat professional appearance.
• Provide DMV printout.
The Civic is looking for reliable, professional, customer–service oriented applicants for the following temporary, on-call positions:
Civic Auditorium Security / Ushers- Recreation II $11.02/hour
Assist patrons, distribute programs, take tickets, monitor backstage or restricted areas as assigned.
Civic Auditorium Cashier $11.02/hour
Sell concession & miscellaneous items during Civic Auditorium events, set up concessions area, minor food prep
and clean-up. Cash handling, register experience preferred. Requires fingerprinting & TB test.
Civic Auditorium Maintenance Worker Aide $11.17/hour
Custodial & Maintenance duties, stock concessions area. Also event prep: setting up chairs/tables for Civic events and post-event break-down and clean up.
All positions are on-call. On-call positions require a flexible schedule to include nights and weekends.
Pick up an application at the Civic Box Office or online at City of Santa Cruz Human Resources. Turn in your applications to the Civic Box Office 307 Church Street Between 11am & 6pm Tuesday through Friday.
CURRENT FULL-TIME JOB OPENINGS
There no full-time positions available at this time.