Regular Office Schedule:
Office hours for Planning and Building Counters
(Upstairs in Room 206)
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 12 noon and 1:00PM-3:00PM (Closed Fridays)
Staff will be available in the afternoon Monday - Thursday and all day on Fridays by phone or appointment only. Phone: 831-420-5100 • Fax: 831-420-5101
Administration hours (Room 107) Mon - Fri 8:00AM - 12 noon and 1:00PM - 5:00PM or by appointment. Closed every other Friday.
Please help the Planning and Community Development Department by providing your feedback through a short survey on vacation rentals. Click here to complete the survey.
The Department of Planning and Community Development is comprised of the following divisions:
- Current Planning Division
- Advance Planning Division
- Code Compliance Division
- Building & Safety Division
Administers a variety of City regulations relating to physical development of the community.
- Answering zoning questions by email or by phone at 831-420-5416
- Maintains and updates the Current Cumulative Project List
- Reviewing proposed businesses and issuing zoning clearances for permitted uses
- Reviewing development plans submitted for building permits for compliance with the zoning code
- Reviewing land use applications such as use permits, variances, coastal permits, design permits, historic alteration and demolition permits, tentative parcel and tractmaps, etc.
- Preparing staff reports with findings and conditions to present before the Zoning Administrator, Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and City Council
- Conducting environmental reviews and coordinating environmental compliance activities of other city departments
- Preparing recommendations for zoning code amendments
- Attending neighborhood meetings to help answer questions/concerns over zoning issues or project details
- Investigating complaints regarding violations of zoning, housing, and property maintenance requirements and securing property owner compliance
- Monitoring conditions of approval and mitigation measures
Deals with the development of city-wide and neighborhood plans and programs. It involves adoption and maintenance of the General Plan and General Plan Map, its elements, area plans and the Local Coastal Program. Important to this division is liaison with other jurisdictions, neighborhood, business and civic groups.
- Developing amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map
- Current Corridor Rezoning Project
- Facilitating historic preservation through the Historic Preservation Program
- Providing public information regarding City planning, interdepartmental/interjurisdictional coordination, census data analysis, and economic development.
- Carrying out research projects under direction of the City Council and Planning Commission
- Update the Housing Element
- Update and maintain the Climate Action Plan
The Code Compliance Division's mission, within the Planning and Community Development Department, is to ensure a safe, clean, attractive, and healthy living environment in the City of Santa Cruz.
- Promoting health and safety in neighborhoods
- Increasing awareness and information about City policies, programs, and Municipal Code requirements
- Residential Rental Inspection Program
BUILDING INSPECTION SERVICES:
This activity administers the California Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Codes, as well as other ordinances and regulations relating to building and construction.
- Providing information about building and construction and reviewing plans for conformance to applicable codes and standards
- Issuing permits and inspecting construction and buildings for compliance with plans and regulations
- Investigating building and construction related complaints and assisting other City departments as necessary with the enforcement of related codes and ordinances
- Updated Energy Code Regulations, effective 7/1/14
HOUSING AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT (HCD):(Now part of the Economic Development and Redevelopment Agency) The HCD Division is responsible for developing and implementing strategies and goals contained in the Housing Element of the City's General Plan. HCD staff also administers the federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Home Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) funds, which are used to benefit low-and moderate income households.