Mark Ellis, Building Official
809 Center Street, Room 206
Santa Cruz, California 95060
Office hours for Building Counter:
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 12 noon and 1:00PM-3:00PM (Closed Fridays)
Staff will be available in the afternoon by phone or appointment only.
Phone: 831-420-5120 • Fax: 831-420-5434
Online Permit Portal (eTRAKiT): Using this portal the public, business owners, and contractors are able to search and view current permits and planning and business license record information.
Informational Items and brochures:
- *NEW* Access the International Code Council website for resources relating to Significant Changes to the California Building Code and Residential Code (2016 Edition).
- Checklist for Expedited Solar Permitting Eligibility
- Notice Updated Energy Code Regulations, effective 7/1/14
- Graywater Informational Brochure
- List of Solar Contractors
- Residential Solar Decision Making Worksheet
- Residential Solar Brochure
- Graywater Permitting and Installation Requirements
- Clothes Washer Graywater Systems Installation and Maintenance Agreement Form (Public Works)
- More information on Water Quality from the Public Works Department
Welcome to the City of Santa Cruz Building Inspections ServicesThis division administers the California Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Codes, as well as other ordinances and regulations relating to building and construction. It provides information about building and construction; reviews plans for conformance to applicable codes and standards; issues permits and inspects construction and buildings for compliance with plans and regulations.
This division also investigates building and construction related complaints and assists other City departments as necessary with the enforcement of related codes and ordinances.