Santa Cruz Police Department’s Teen Public Safety Academy
The summer Teen Academy courses developed by the Santa Cruz Police Department provide a phenomenal opportunity to Santa Cruz teenagers who are considering serving their community in careers in either law enforcement or public safety, and those who are interested in learning public safety skills and more about their community from the public servant perspective.
In the one-week* course participants gain an understanding of what it takes to become a law enforcement officer, firefighter, 911 dispatcher, and emergency responder through direct observation and participation.
Beginning with physical training each morning promptly at 8 o’clock, the day will focus upon learning various procedures and skills that will include:
• Police investigations procedures
• Understanding Traffic Section responsibilities of the SCPD
• Learning about Current Gang identification, culture and colors
• Identifying narcotics, drug paraphernalia and illegal drug usage
• A field trip to 911 Dispatch to learn about dispatcher requirements and to observe the call center in action
• Observing a Police K-9 demonstration
• An entire day with the SC Fire Department in which teens will: train and obtain CPR certification; receive fire extinguisher training, hose and water flow experience, technical rescue equipment (rescue techniques), ropes and knots, and knowledge of specialized equipment.
• Participation in controlled vehicle pursuit and high risk vehicle stop
• Learning and practicing ESU tactical and clear building techniques
Classes are limited to 20 participants enabling teens to meet and engage with officers and various public servants directly. Questions directed to officers who are presenting are encouraged, as are discussions.
*Classes run for one week, Monday - Friday, from 8 am - 4 pm.
Graduation will be on Friday at 3:30 pm, and family members are invited to attend!
For an application or additional information please contact:
Joe Hernandez (831) 420-5952 or firstname.lastname@example.org