City Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goal:
Reduce community-wide greenhouse gas emissions 30% by 2020 and 80% by 2050 (compared to 1990 levels).
FOLLOW OUR PROGRESS:
2014 Progress Report to City Council
2015 Progress Report to City Council
2016 Progress Report to City Council
2017 Progress Report to City Council
City of Santa Cruz
Climate Action Milestones
Milestones were revised in early 2016 to add more specificity to each target.
Click on each Milestone to view past progress and what's ahead. Milestones with no link are under revision.
2008 is the base year from which all Milestones are based.
2. Expand energy efficiency programs to 30% of homes and businesses by 2020.
3. Increase solar to 5,000 residents, 500 businesses and supply municipal buildings with 33% solar energy by 2020.
5. Ensure the rail corridor supports bike and pedestrian use by 2020 and support establishment of future rail service.
6. Maximize water conservation efforts to achieve the goals recommended by the Water Supply Advisory Com-mittee and accepted by the Council and to meet state mandates.
7. Achieve 75% total waste diversion and maximize organic waste diversion by 2020.
8. Increase bike ridership to 12% of local commutes by 2020.
10.Retain 200 certified Santa Cruz Green Businesses within the City through 2020.
11.Maintain and increase the City’s urban tree canopy by 10%
ON APRIL 7, 2015 CITY COUNCIL HELD A SPECIAL STUDY SESSION TO REVIEW THE STATUS OF THE CLIMATE ACTION PLAN AND ALL ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS THE CITY IS IMPLEMENTING
Read the Staff Report for that Special Session
Review the Slide Deck for that Special Session
Go Solar Santa Cruz!
Federal Tax Credits were extended through 2019 so now is the time to go solar!
Use our EnergySage solar marketplace and decision making guides!
New residential and commercial solar PV resource materials available here!
The Beacon Program honors local governments’ voluntary efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, save energy and adopt policies and programs that promote sustainability. It also provides a framework to share best practices that create healthier, more efficient and vibrant communities and provides a comprehensive picture of local leadership to address climate change throughout the state of California.
The Beacon Program focuses on five areas of accomplishment.
Agency greenhouse gas emission reduction
Community greenhouse gas emission reduction
Natural gas savings
Sustainability best practices activities
In October 2015, Santa Cruz was awarded three Beacon spotlight awards for
Agency Energy Savings Gold
Greenhouse Gas Reductions Gold
Best Practice Activities Platinum
City of Santa Cruz list of actions Click Here
IN 2015, THE CITY + UCSC GREENWHARF
PARNTERSHIP WAS AWARDED A GEELA FROM CALEPA!
Dr. Tiffany Wise-West
Sustainability + Climate Action Coordinator
809 Center St, Room 107
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
NEW IN 2017: CLIMATE ACTION PROGRAM PUBLIC OFFICE HOURS
ARE ON THURSDAYS BETWEEN 3:30 AND 5 PM
PLEASE EMAIL CLIMATE ACTION COORDINATOR TO RESERVE AN APPT. DURING OFFICE HOURS