Visit Parks & Recreation Department for private special events
PUBLIC MAJOR SPECIAL EVENTS
(Note: Fees will increase in January and July each year)
Public Major Special Events scheduled on City property may include street closures, amplified music, admission charges, sales of goods or services, large numbers of people, and/or City personnel. These requirements each have separate permit costs, related fees, and various departmental approval requirements. This page provides information and the necessary forms required to submit an application requesting dates and locations. .
Listed below are some general questions that you will need to consider when planning your event and completing the application.
- What public area will be requested for this event?
- How many people do you expect/want to attend?
- Will there be amplified sound?
- Will there be sales of any kind?
- Will there be a charge for admittance?
- Will there be a parade or march in the streets?
- Will a street closure be requested?
- Will there be alcohol?
- Will you be requesting city staff to assist during the event?
Public Major Special Event Permit Application:The following forms should be reviewed as indicated in the APPLICATION -
- Insurance Requirement Information
- Food Packaging Ordinance Brochure
- Admission Tax Information
- Commercial Use Fees Form - City Manager Office
- Commercial Use Fees BEACH Form - City Manager Office
- Barricade requirements w-Drawing Sept 2017
- Adult Monitor - Street Closure Information Sheet
When Turning in Your Application:
Most applications may be submitted no earlier than one year prior to the requested event date(s). Exception: Three year applications may be accepted when compliance has been attained for at least five years; this option must be approved and confirmed by the City's Special Event Coordinator.
Complete the application answering each question as thoroughly as possible. Submit the completed application along with a tentative site plan drawing and a map of the requested route of a street closure (for parades, triathlons, street festivals, etc.) a minimum of 60 days prior to the event. These will be reviewed to confirm that event location is available and other logistical details allow for the event to be scheduled. Once the application has been reviewed, the applicant will be contacted and an application fee will be required to confirm the event reservation.
Simple Public Major App Fee: (less than 6 hrs of City staff time)
$120 (July 2018) $126 (Jan 2019) $144* (July 2019)
Complex Public Major App Fee: (more than 6 hrs of City staff time)
$240 (July 2018) $251 (Jan 2019) $288* (July 2019)
All applications fees will double if the application is submitted less than 60 days prior to the event.
Applications submitted less than 30 days prior to the event may not be processed; call prior to submitting. Applications can be submitted up to one year from the first date of your event.
Special Event Coordinator
City of Santa Cruz /City Manager's Office
809 Center Street, Room 10
Special Event Permit Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Fridays - by Appointment