Housing Assistance Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City Council Approves Large Rent Increase Ordinance. For more information on this ordinance, please visit the Planning Department's webpage here.

Please note that the City of Santa Cruz does not provide housing or housing assistance directly to individuals or households.


Affordable Housing Developments in Santa Cruz County

Please visit the following websites for lists of affordable housing:

Affordable Measure O Units (Inclusionary Housing)

The City of Santa Cruz requires developers to provide a certain number of affordable units in their projects located within the city limits of Santa Cruz. Please visit the following websites for more information:

Security Deposit Assistance for Low-Income Renters

The Housing Authority of the County of Santa Cruz manages a program that provides security deposits to eligible tenants as a loan that is returned to the City when the tenant moves out. You must be a low-income household and not have received this assistance in the past where the loan was not returned to the City. Please visit the Housing Authority Security Deposit webpage for more information. 

Mortgage Assistance

The California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA) manages a program which provides tax credits to eligible homebuyers which reduces the amount of federal income tax paid. This results in a homebuyer having more income available to qualify and pay for a mortgage. Please visit the Cal HFA Mortgage Credit Certificate Program webpage for more information.


Housing Complaints

The City does not provide counseling nor does it intervene in tenant/landlord disputes, unless there are building or zoning code violations in the rental unit. To report a code violation please call the City of Santa Cruz Code Compliance Division at 831-420-5100. For more information or to download a complaint form, please visit the Code Compliance Division webpage.

Tenant/Landlord Disputes

As noted above, the City does not intervene in tenant/landlord disputes. For unresolved disputes, tenants should seek legal advice or assistance. Low income tenants may qualify for legal help. For more information please visit the California Rural Assistance League webpage or call them at 831-251-8263. Another resource is the California Tenants - A Guide to Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities Manual.


The City does not provide direct assistance to homeless individuals or households, but helps to support a network of services that do. For those experiencing homelessness, please visit the Homeless Services Center website or call them at 831-458-6020.

For additional information please contact the Housing and Community Development Division by email or telephone at the numbers shown below:

Measure O/Inclusionary Housing
Affordable Housing Trust Fund
Redevelopment Affordable Housing Program
Affordable Housing List (AB987)
Mortgage Credit Certificate Program
Rent Subsidy and Security Deposit Program
Security Deposit Interest Rate For Residential Properties
Rental Housing with Affordability Restrictions
Unified Housing Rehabilitation Program

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer