Child Seat Safety
- Starting January 1, 2017, children under 2-years old MUST BE REAR-FACING unless they weigh 40 pounds or more, or are 40 inches tall or more.
- Vehicle safety belt should fit as follows: lap belt low (touching the thighs), shoulder belt across middle of chest and shoulder (not under arm or behind back), knees bent comfortably without slouching.
- If your child does not fit this description, make sure they ride in a booster seat.
- It is always a good idea to have a certified technician check the installation of your car seat.
- Child Passenger Safety Resources 2018 Flyer
Child Seat Safety Inspection Sites (by appointment only)
- AAA Capitola 831-824-9141
- AAA Watsonville 831-768-4570 (se habla Español)
- Boulder Creek Fire Protection 831-338-7222
- California Highway Patrol 831-662-0511
- Capitola Police Department 831-475-4242 (se habla Español) Wednesday appointments only
- Santa Cruz City Fire Department 831-420-5280
- Scotts Valley Fire Protection District 831-438-0211
- Watsonville Fire Department 831-768-3209 (se habla Español)
No‐Cost Car Seats
Car seats are available on a limited basis for low income families. Proof of low income status or a referral from a community
agency is required.
For more information or an appointment call:
- Santa Cruz/North County: 831-454-5477
- Watsonville/South County: 831-454-4317