Child Seat Safety 2018 California Car Seat Laws
- Children under 2 years of age shall ride in a rear-facing car seat until they weigh 40 pounds or more or are at least 40 inches tall.
- Children under the age of 8 or under 4'9″ must be secured in the appropriate car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
- Vehicle safety belt should fit as follows: lap belt low (touching the thighs), shoulder belt across middle of chest and shoulder (not under arm or behind back), knees bent comfortably without slouching.
- If your child does not fit this description, make sure they ride in a booster seat.
- It is always a good idea to have a certified technician check the installation of your car seat.
- Child Passenger Safety Resources 2018 Flyer
Child Seat Safety Inspection Sites (by appointment only)
- Santa Cruz Fire Department is no longer performing child seat safety inspections. Please contact one of the following agencies for an inspection.
- AAA Capitola 831-824-9141
- AAA Watsonville 831-768-4570 (se habla Español)
- California Highway Patrol 831-662-0511
- Capitola Police Department 831-475-4242 (se habla Español) Wednesday appointments only
- Scotts Valley Fire Protection District 831-438-0211
- Watsonville Fire Department 831-768-3209 (se habla Español)
- Dominican Hospital Child Seat Safety Event -
No‐Cost Car Seats
Car seats are available on a limited basis for low income families. Proof of low income status or a referral from a community
agency is required.
For more information or an appointment call:
- Santa Cruz/North County: 831-454-5477
- Watsonville/South County: 831-454-4317