The Wastewater Treatment Facility provides state-of-the-art wastewater treatment for the City of Santa Cruz and for Capitola, Live Oak, Soquel, Aptos and UCSC. Come join our dynamic team motivated by a strong environmental ethic. Dedicated staff throughout our organization lead the way in environmental action based on the latest scientific research and accomplished with appropriate uses of technology.
All positions within the facility require certification, which is gained by a combination of study, on- the-job training and examination by the State of California. Typical duties for Plant Operators include monitoring, reading and calculating the flow of water or sewage through the plant by meters, gauges and visual inspection; operating pumps and valves to regulate flow and adjust chemical feeding according to established standards; and collecting samples and making routine chemical and physical tests monitoring for changing conditions and chemical feed requirements.
For Wastewater Plant Operator career path:
- Learn how to become certified: www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/operator_certification/cert.shtml
- Find out how to obtain experience needed to earn certification www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/operator_certification/oit_info.shtml
- Take classes via the internet prior to taking certification tests. California State University at Sacramento (CSUS) is recommended by the department as the best place for distance learning. www.owp.csus.edu/courses/catalog.php
Wastewater Plant Operator in Training/I/II/III
For Mechanical Tech, Electrical/Instrument Tech, Collection Tech career paths:
- Learn how to become certified www.cwea.org/cert_howcert_steps.shtml
- For education and experience requirements, study references and FAQs http://cwea.org/pdf/tcp/hb_pm.pdf
- Review City of Santa Cruz Job Descriptions for City requirements and career paths:
Wastewater Facilities Mechanical Technician I/II
Wastewater Facilities Electrical Technician I/II
Wastewater Facilities Instrumentation Technician I/II
Wastewater Collection Maintenance Trainee/Technologist I/II
Wastewater Collection Mechanical Tech II
For further information about any Wastewater career path, contact Mike Sanders (Wastewater Treatment Facility Operations Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org , Dan Seidel (Superintendent of the Wastewater Treatment Facility) email@example.com or HR Department staff HR@cityofsantacruz.com.