Evidence of a safe driving record is required for positions that have driving responsibilities and/or special driving certification such as a B license. Please make sure to scan the entire record all the way to the word “End” and payment information.
California Driving Records
- Driving record printouts must be obtained in person from California Department of Motor Vehicle offices. The form is titled Driver License/Identification Card Information Request (Form H6).
- The printout must have been obtained within 30 days prior to the recruitment closing date. For continuous recruitments, the printout must have been obtained within 30 days prior to the application submission date.
- It can take days or weeks to obtain an appointment with the DMV which may be longer than the length of time of a particular recruitment. In that case, one option is to go early and stand in line or find a less popular office. DMV offices may be closed on certain Fridays.
- The same DMV record may be used for multiple job postings, but it must fulfill the within 30 days criteria for each job.
- Three year and ten year printouts are available. Three year printouts are acceptable for most recruitment processes. Public safety positions may require the ten year printout.
- The printout will not be accepted if it ends with the message "Cannot print entire record". The most recent three years of your driving record must be included on the printout.
- At minimum, applicants with more than two moving violations or responsibility for more than two vehicle accidents in the past three years will be disqualified. Refer to individual job flyers for public safety position requirements.
- California DMV printouts obtained online ($2.00) are not official documents and will not be accepted in lieu of official printouts.
- Commercial Ops/Casual Request Form DL 414 (not obtained in person at a DMV office) will not be accepted in lieu of Form H6 as they do not contain the same range of information as Form H6.
- Attach the scanned file to your application before it is submitted. The system will not allow additions to the online application after submission. Scan your printout to a pdf file. A scan to a Word file will not be accepted. Scan every page of the record that you receive including half pages with very little information on them; scan the entire record all the way to the word "End" plus a string of numbers and payment information.
Out of State Driving Records
- Some recruitments may not accept out of state driving records.
- For out of state candidates, submit your official/attested/certified driving record from your current state of residence. Online versions will only be accepted if that is the only version that your state offers. Unattested versions will not be accepted.
- If you just moved to California and haven't yet obtained a license yet, we prefer a driving record printout from your most recent state of residence. Note: California driving records may include prior violations from other states.
- Out of state candidates who are hired for jobs that require a California Driver's license will be required to obtain one prior to start of hire.
- If you are a California resident who is temporarily residing out of state, you may request your record by mail. Complete the INF 1125 form available on the DMV web site. May take up to 3 weeks for the driving record to arrive.
For any other related questions, please call the Human Resources office at 831-420-5040 or HR@cityofsantacruz.com.