The Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium is celebrating 60 years of outstanding contribution to cultural and civic life in Santa Cruz. Since March 28, 1940 the Civic Auditorium has hosted an extraordinary array of events which chronicle social and community life here for over half a century. Now a permanent Auditorium lobby exhibit is planned to document this remarkable history.
Be part of the history---Share your Memories with our Survey here!
The City of Santa Cruz invites the public to commemorate the Civic's contributions by loaning archival material for the exhibit. Civic staff seeks memorabilia: photographs, posters, programs, tickets, autographs, video clips, and other artifacts to record the Auditorium's expansive 60 year history. Original artifacts can be loaned for duplication purposes, and then returned to the owner.
If the Civic's walls could talk, the stories they could tell:
- From Howdy Doody to Megadeth numerous concerts including: Laurie Anderson, Tony Bennett, the Buena Vista Social Club, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Ani DiFranco, Jerry Garcia Band, Nanci Griffith, Ben Harper, B.B. King, the Pat Metheny Group, The Ramones, Carlos Santana, The String Cheese Incident, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more.
- Eleanor Roosevelt to Jesse Jackson to H.H. the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
- The Miss Cal Pageant to Gloria Steinem
- The Civic's 1939 dedication ceremony to First Night Santa Cruz 2000
- Santa Cruz Follies to the Santa Cruz County Symphony to Omega Nu to the Cabrillo Music Festival to A Gay Evening in May
- Basketball to boxing to roller derby to ice skating to the World Famous Lipizzaner Stallions
- Wedding receptions to graduations to high school dances and Sweet 16 parties.
Memorabilia holders are asked to call the Civic Auditorium at 831-420-5243.