Building & Safety Current Service Delivery Practice (as of 4/1/2020)
Public Counter service is currently closed. Plans Examiners and Inspectors are mostly working remote with limited staff in office/field complying with safe practices and most recent Santa Cruz County Health Officer Order (effective 11:59pm 3/31/2020). Through May 3, 2020 (and potentially further, if the order is extended) we are working to accept remote/electronic applications for building permits, however we will only issue building permits and provide inspections for the following types of projects:
Essential infrastructure (for projects immediately necessary for maintenance, operation or repair).
- Healthcare operations
- Deed restricted affordable housing projects
- Essential government-related public works projects
- Shelters and temporary housing (does not include motels/ hotels)
- Serve the homeless, elderly, economically disadvantaged, and persons with special needs (for projects immediately necessary to provide critical services).
- Securing existing construction sites that must be shut down under this order to ensure their safety and security
- Residential construction necessary to ensure health and safety of the structure that cannot be reasonably delayed
- Commercial construction necessary to ensure the health and safety of the building that cannot be reasonably delayed
Building Permits for Essential Infrastructure
To inquire about building permits for the above listed projects or to submit plans for review (although they cannot be issued at this time unless they meet the above criteria) please email email@example.com. Please include a completed building permit application (a building permit application can be found on the right hand side of this page under the header pre-submittal documents) along with your email. Please note: it is OK to omit the APN on your building permit application if you do not know it.
Building Inspections for Essential Infrastructure
Building inspections will continue for items considered essential infrastructure. To confirm or schedule an inspection, continue to call (831) 420-5110.
ARE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES ESSENTIAL?
The Building and Safety Division administers state and local building codes that safeguard life, health, and safety of our community. This is accomplished through the issuance of permits including plan review and inspections.
Highlights & Updates
Considering legalizing your non-permitted Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?
The Building & Safety Division is available to discuss your specific project, including what is needed to gain approval and how older building codes and standards may be considered for non-safety items such as energy compliance. Read more about Legalizing Your ADU.
Please note that portions of your new site are still under construction. If you can't find the information you are looking for, please call so we may assist you.
- Obtaining a Building Permit (Under Construction)
- Obtaining an Online Building Permit
- Check Permit Status
- Check Plan Review Comments
- ADU Legalization
- Building an ADU
- ADU Cost Estimate
- Permitting an ADU:
- Call: Megan Nutt (831)420-5128
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org