The City of Santa Cruz, in partnership with the Mattress Recycling Council, offers FREE mattress recycling for households within the City of Santa Cruz.
- Mattresses must be delivered to the City of Santa Cruz Resource Recovery Facility (RRF), located at 605 Dimeo Lane. (3 miles north of town)
- RRF hours are Monday through Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- **Limit 5 mattresses and/or box springs per visit**
- The City of Santa Cruz does not provide free pickup service for mattresses, except when service tags are used. To schedule a pickup call customer service at 420-5220.
- This offer is not valid for commercial haulers or commercial entities (motels, retail stores)
As part of this program, we are unable to accept these items for recycling:
- severely damaged, wet, twisted, or soiled mattresses or box springs
- items infested with bed bugs
- mattress pads or toppers
- sleeping bags and blankets
- pillows or cushions (sofa and chair)
- car beds
- juvenile products such as carriages, baskets, cribs, bassinets, dressing tables, strollers, and playpens
- infant carriers, lounge pads, or crib bumpers
- water beds or air mattresses
- fold-out sofa beds or futons
Note: These items are accepted at the RRF as trash disposal and charged the standard rate for garbage.
Click here for information on other appliance or bulky items services and annual pickup dates
The Mattress Recycling Council (MRC) is a non-profit organization established by the mattress industry and certified by CalRecycle to manage Bye Bye Mattress - the California mattress recycling program. Watch the Sandman Mattress Recycling video here.
City of Santa Cruz Waste Reduction office - General Questions: 831 420-5591
City of Santa Cruz Resource Recovery Facility - Drop-Off Questions: 831 420-6270