MANAGING YOUR WASTE -THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC!
REDUCE PAPER WASTE- While we do encourage Recycling Right, Reducing your overall household waste is a great way to support the City's Essential Workers and lengthen the life of the landfill. The Resource Recovery Facility is operating with reduced staffing due to Covid-19 and paper is one of the materials that requires lots of hands to produce a sell-able commodity in the increasingly restricted market due to changes in export to Asian countries for processing.
Follow these steps to reduce the amount of paper your household generates.
- STOP JUNK MAIL- There are several ways that you can ditch junk mail Use these websites to opt out of junk mail, catalogs, and directories.
- Catalog Choice
- DMA Choice
- Yellow Pages Opt Out
- COMPOST YOUR PAPER- Plain paper, newspaper and, shredded paper * is compostable so add it to your compost pail or compost bin! If you don’t have a backyard compost bin, take advantage of the City's $40 Home Composting Rebate Program. * As a Reminder, never put shredded paper, even bagged, in your recycle cart.
- GO PAPERLESS- Contact your bank, doctor offices, and other companies that send bills or statements to your mailbox. Ask them to add you to their electronic list and remove you from the paper mailing list
A reminder that personal hygiene products like gloves, face masks, tissues and paper towels should be placed in the trash.
The City offers solutions for unwanted items as follows:
- USE CITY OF SANTA CRUZ BULKY ITEM TAGS- Schedule a pick up of unwanted furniture and appliances 831-420-5220
- RENTER?- Pick up services available for Non-Account Holders (utility bill not in your name)- Complete this form.
- TEMPORARILY INCREASE SERVICE LEVEL- Finding that you are utilizing more packaged goods at this time? No problem, you can call to have your level of garbage service temporarily increased to avoid the extra fees that may come with overloading your garbage cart or placing contamination in your recycle cart. Email Customer Service at SCMU@cityofsantacruz.com
- RECYCLE RIGHT! Use the Recycle Guide or What Goes Where App (See further down this page) as a reference when choosing what to place in your blue recycle cart. Carts with contamination may not be emptied and may incur extra fees.
- REPAIR IT!- You Tube has information on all sorts of REPAIR projects. Who knows you might learn a new skill and save something from the landfill
- NO FREE STUFF ON THE CURB- Don't leave items on the Curb with a Free Sign. These items impair safe navigation of our sidewalks and often are relocated to our creeks and open spaces. Items left on a curb are considered Illegal Dumping
- BOX UP and SET ASIDE- Donate or share on Free Cycle and Next door once the SIP is lifted.
- ENLIST THE HELP OF A HAULING SERVICE- Check local listing for companies that specialize in Junk removal and hauling. This will save you a trip and will help to manage the flow of traffic at the landfill.
Recycle Right! Videos to Help You Get the Right Material into the Right Bin
Watch our entire series below by clicking the Recycle Right! icon or choose individual segments beneath it.
Our 30-second "Think Before You Throw" video with Warriors' mascot Mav'Riks teaches how to avoid recycling contamination.
Need Help with Your Refuse or Recycling Service?
Click on Refuse Service Options to view the cart sizes available and monthly rates or call Customer Service: 420-5220 for assistance.
Get more information by clicking on the following:
Curbside Recycling Guide [PDF]- Extensive
Scrap - Santa Cruz Recycle Art Program Video
- Appliance and Bulky Item Pickup
- Batteries Household
- Carpet [PDF]
- Dori Poles - no-waste decorations [PDF]
- Earth Day Santa Cruz POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19
- Electronic Waste (e-Waste)
- Fluorescent Bulbs and Tubes
- Garage Sale Weekend- POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19
- Yard Waste and Holiday Tree
- Home Composting $40 Rebate
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Junk Mail Reduction [PDF]
- Mattress Recycling
- Motor Oil Recycling [PDF]
- Paint Recycling Program [PDF]
- Pharmaceuticals and Sharps
- Polystyrene Plastic/ Food Service (Styrofoam TM)
- Printer Cartridges
- Recycling Center
- School Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Single-Use Bag Reduction Ordinance
- UCSC off Campus Move-Out
Watch what happens to your recyclables - from house, to cart, to truck, to sorting, to baling and then resale to make new products.
Call (831) 420-5593
Master Recycler Volunteer Training Program
Classes begin Every February- Preference given to those who live and work within the Santa Cruz City Limits) but all are welcome to apply. For questions, please email email@example.com or call 831-420-5593
Confused about Recycling? Passionate about Zero Waste? Ready to share what you learn? Join your fellow residents for seven evening classes and two Saturday morning field trips where you will learn about the 6 R's of Discard Management- REFUSE, RETHINK, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE and ROT. Participants agree to miss no more than 1 class and to complete 20 hours of volunteer community service within the City of Santa Cruz over the course of 12 months. Volunteer opportunities include staffing an outreach table at the Earth Day Santa Cruz Celebration, weekly Downtown and West side Farmers Markets, and special events. You will learn up to date information from Industry experts and gain the tools to educate and empower friends, neighbors, schools, and businesses to Waste Less and Recycle Right!
Missed Pick Up or other Service Questions?
Call (831) 420-5220