How to Report Water Waste:
- Contact the Water Conservation Office Leak Line at (831) 420-LEAK (5325) or email.
- Please specifics including: date, time, location, nature of the problem, and how long the situation has been observed.
- If there is a leak emergency after-hours, contact (831) 420-5220.
Types of Water Waste to Report:
- excessive irrigation running off property or spraying on to sidewalks and paved areas;
- outdoor washing, including clean of structures and vehicles, without a self-closing hose nozzle;
operation of a water fountain or other decorative water feature that does not use re-circulated water;
uncorrected plumbing leaks - by law, a reasonable effort must be made to repair or make arrangement for fixing a leak within 24 hours of finding it;
- unauthorized use of water from a fire hydrant; and
- other indiscriminate uses of water.
We also appreciate hearing reports of leaks in the street. Please call either the Leak Line (831) 420-LEAK (5325) or Customer Service (831) 420-5220, so we can assess and repair the leak.
For more information, read Chapter 16.02 of the Santa Cruz Municipal Code, the part of the City ordinance that details prohibited uses of water.