There are a number of ways to save water, and they all start with YOU.
- Take a shallow bath (bathtubs hold more than 50 gallons)
Don't let the water run while washing.
Collect shower water with a bucket to water your plants or flush your toilet.
Check for leaks by physically inspecting your fixtures.
Install low flow shower heads and aerators (available for free).
Check your toilets for leaks by adding food coloring to the bowl. If the color appears in the bowl after 15 minutes, you have a leak.
- Collect the water you use for rinsing produce for your outdoor plants.
- Soak pots and pans instead of letting water run.
- Install an instant hot water to avoid running the tap when waiting for it warm up.
- Don't let the water run when washing dishes.
- Check for leaks and make repairs.
- Install a low flow kitchen faucet aerator (available for free).
- Use the load selector to match the water level to the size of your laundry.
- Run the clothes washer with only full loads.
- Pre-soak heavily soiled items.
- Check faucets and hose connections for leaks.
- Replace your old clothes washer with an ENERGY STAR clothes washer ($100-$200 rebate available)
- Attach a shut-off nozzle to your hose (available for free).
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean driveways, patios, and sidewalks.
- Use 2-3 inches of mulch around landscape plantings.
- Water before 10:00 am or after 5:00 pm to reduce evaporation.
- Adjust your irrigation controller to appropriately water plants across the seasons.
- Keep your irrigation system running efficiently by physically inspecting during run times.
- Replace your lawn with low-water use plants ($1/sq ft. rebate available).
- Harvest rainwater with a rain barrel (subsidized barrel available).
- For pools and hot tubs, use a cover to reduce evaporation.
- Mow grasses higher, at 3 or 4 inches, to reduce water loss and promote healthy roots.
- Use water-efficient irrigation such as drip systems, soaker hoses, or low-volume sprinklers.
- Install a greywater laundry to landscape system ($150 rebate available).