The City of Santa Cruz Water Department is replacing the existing Newell Creek Dam (NCD) inlet/outlet works at Loch Lomond Reservoir in the San Lorenzo Valley as required by the Division of Safety of Dams (DSOD). This webpage contains information for the public and for project contractors, and will be kept current.
Please scroll down to see project objectives and components as well as an animated video of the project scope.
Project Updates and Announcements
March 5, 2020: Bid Period Closed
The bid period for Construction Services for the Newell Creek Dam Inlet/Outlet Replacement Project has closed. The city is evaluating the bids in accordance with the criteria in the bid documents and plans to issue the Notice of Intent to Award during the week of March 16, 2020.
A copy of the bid tabulation form is available on eBidboard. The bid results displayed are preliminary and subject to change pending review and verification of the applicable bid requirements. The contract will be awarded to the lowest responsive, responsible bidder.
January 30, 2020: Invitation for Bids
On January 28, the Santa Cruz City Council voted unanimously to authorize bidding on the Newell Creek Dam Inlet/Outlet Replacement Project. The bid documents are available to download on eBidboard. Only pre-qualified contractors are eligible to submit bids; bids must be submitted by March 5, 2020 at 1:00pm. The project will be awarded to the lowest responsible, responsive bidder.
December 4, 2019: Prequalified Contractor Site Visits
The City has conducted two site visits with the Prequalified Contractors. The following solicitation schedule is anticipated through award:
- Contractor site visit and Q&A - October 29, 2019 (completed)
- Contractor site visit and core viewing - November 21, 2019 (completed)
- City Council meeting: authorization to bid - January 28, 2020
- Bid period - January to March 2020
- Award and Notice to Proceed (NTP) - April 2020
October 15, 2019: Notification of Prequalified Contractors
The following contractors submitted SOQs that satisfied the City's requirements and have been prequalified to bid on the project:
- Flatiron West, Inc. (Benicia, CA) Contact: Jeff Wells, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. (Fairfield, CA) Contact: Ethan Brand, email@example.com
- Obayashi Corporation (Burlingame, CA) Contact: Bill Bracken, (650) 245-9679
- Traylor Bros., Inc. (Long Beach, CA) Contact: Mike Roach (562) 264-2500
Prequalified contractors will be invited to attend a site visit and Q&A session with the City during the week of October 28, 2019.
September 12, 2019: Statements of Qualifications (SOQs) Under Evaluation
The City has received six SOQs in response to the Prequalification RFQ. Following the City's evaluation, the list of Prequalified Contractors will be added to the NCD I/O project website on October 10, 2019 (tentative.)
September 10, 2019: Deadline to Submit Statements of Qualifications (SOQs)
The RFQ period for Construction Services for the Newell Creek Dam Inlet/Outlet Replacement Project (NCD I/O) has closed. The City is evaluating the SOQs submitted, as described in the RFQ. The city tentatively plans to issue the list of Prequalified Contractors on October 10, 2019. The list of Prequalified Contractors will be added to the NCD I/O project website (www.cityofsantacruz.com/ncd_io). Prequalified Contractors will be invited to a site visit and Q & A session with the City during the week of October 21, 2019 (tentative.)
July 9, 2019: Prequalification RFQ for Construction Services
The RFQ for Construction Services for the Newell Creek Dam Inlet/Outlet Replacement Project (NCD I/O) is available to download on eBidBoard. Highly-qualified contractors are encouraged to submit Statements of Qualifications (SOQs). All interested contractors must submit their completed SOQ on or before September 10, 2019 at 4pm. Any queries should be directed to the point of contact listed in the RFQ.
Following the City’s selection, the prequalified contractors will be listed on the NCD I/O Project website (www.cityofsantacruz.com/ncd_io).
Prequalified contractors will be invited to submit cost proposals. A Summary Prequalification Flyer is also available for interested contractors.
Newell Creek Dam Background
Completed in 1961, the earthfill dam stands approximately 195 feet tall with a crest length of approximately 750 feet. NCD impounds Loch Lomond Reservoir with a maximum storage capacity of approximately 8,646 acre-feet. The dam is operated by the Santa Cruz Water Department and regulated by the California Department of Water Resources Division of Safety of Dams (DSOD). The existing NCD inlet/outlet works is approaching the end of its useful design life.
- Protect the City's water supply system by addressing existing deficiencies.
- Establish long-term reliable storage of drinking water supply.
- Meet DSOD drawdown requirements.
- Improve overall operational efficiency and system performance.
- Improve inspection and maintenance access.
- Implement a cost-effective project, including operation/maintenance costs.
- Maintain uninterrupted beneficial flow releases during construction.
- Three new inlets that control and convey flows.
- New outlet structure with valves and controls to provide for energy dissipation for water releases to the Newell Creek Pipeline (NCP) or beneficial releases to Newell Creek.
- New dam seepage collection and monitoring system.
- 10-14 foot diameter tunnel with 48-inch and 10-inch inlet/outlet pipelines.
- Replacement of approximately 2,000 linear-foot segment of the NCP.
- New intake control building on dam crest.
- Access road improvements including a new culvert crossing at spillway plunge pool.
- Decommissioning the existing inlet/outlet works.
Contractor Site Visit
Request for Proposal
Spring 2020 – 2022
Prequalification: Highly-qualified contractors are encouraged to submit Statements of Qualifications. Prequalified firms will be invited to submit cost proposals.
Construction Impacts: Minimal disruption to the reservoir and current water delivery operations. Recreational access to Loch Lomond Reservoir will not be impacted.
- Draft Bid Package for City Council Authorization to Bid - *NOT FOR BID*
- You can find the Draft and Final EIR for the project on the Environmental Documents page.
- Prequalification Flyer: Information for interested contractors.
- Contractor Prequalification Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - *CLOSED*
- Project background and information: Fall 2017 issue of the SCMU Review.
Leah VanDerMaaten, Project Manager