Skip to page body Home About Us What's New City Government Departments Living Visiting Doing Business I Want To...
  1. Why should I teach for the City of Santa Cruz Parks and Recreation Department?
    We mail our Activity Guide to 42,000 households in Santa Cruz County, register all of your
    participants, provide you class rosters, and provide classroom facilities (if you need them).
    There’s no risk in teaching a class with us – if your class doesn’t fill to your minimum
    requirement, we cancel the class.
  2. Which classes tend to be most successful?
    Class subjects that are current or deal with new skills or technologies are encouraged.
    Trends in cooking, health and fitness tend to be popular. Optimum class length is one to two
    hours no more than twice a week for four to six weeks. Depending on your topic one or two
    day workshops can be effective. Afternoons and evenings are best during the school year.
    During summer, children’s classes work best weekdays. Weekends work well for outdoor
    pursuits for adults and families.
  3. How do I apply?
    Complete the class proposal posted on this web site. Please note: instructors wishing to teach classes at the Santa Cruz Harbor must first obtain a harbor use permit from the Santa Cruz Port District. Call 831-475-6161 for information.
  4. Do I become a regular employee of the City of Santa Cruz if hired to teach a
    No, as a class instructor you are an independent contractor with the City of Santa Cruz.
  5. How are classes priced?
    The independent contractor (instructor) works with the Parks and Recreation classes specialist to determine the class fee, to which Parks and Recreation adds an administrative fee ($20.00). The class fee + the administrative fee creates the “resident” price (our residency boundaries are the boundaries of the City of Santa Cruz). Non-residents pay approximately $12-30% more per class. So there are always two prices listed for each class: the resident price and the non-resident price.
  6. How are instructors paid?
    Instructors who teach in a city facility are paid 60% of the class fee (Parks and Recreation retains the remaining 40% of the class fee, the administrative fee and non-resident fee). Instructors who provide their own facilities and insurance naming the city as additionally insured (see #17 below) are paid 80% (Parks and Recreation retains 20%, the administrative fee and non-resident fee).
  7. Can you show an example of what a class taught in a city facility might pay? 
    Example class fee is $100.00. (With administrative fee, published price is $120.00, but Parks and Recreation retains the $20.00 administrative fee). You have 10 participants. Multiply class fee $100 x 10 participants x 60%. In this case you would be paid $600.00 for the class.
  8. Can you show an example of what a class might pay in a private facility?
    Example class fee is $100.00. (With administrative fee, published price is $120.00, but Parks and Recreation retains the $20.00 administrative fee). You have 10 participants. Multiply class fee $100 x 10 participants x 80%. In this case you would be paid $800.00 for the class. 
  9. How often am I paid?
    At the completion of each class session, you submit an invoice for which you are paid
    within 30 days. 
  10. Am I allowed to charge material fees?
    If your class includes materials for art, cooking, or other class-related supplies which the
    student will then get to keep, you are entitled to charge a material fee. We ask for an
    itemized estimate of what the fee includes. Students are asked to pay the material fee at the
    first class directly to you.
  11. Am I allowed to promote my business or sell services or product to my students?
    If your class is offered in your place of business, your business will receive some promotion
    by virtue of being included in our activity guide. We require that you not solicit your
    students to purchase your services and products while in class, but obviously the positive
    relationship you build with students could be beneficial to your business in the future.  
  12. Who sets the minimum and maximum class sizes?
    You do, based on what class size is most appropriate for your topic, your comfort level as
    well as the students, teaching effectiveness and facility availability.
  13. How do I keep updated on my class enrollment?
    You can check our instaReg website to see how many are enrolled, or you can call our
    office and request your roster, 831-420-5270.
  14. If a class must be cancelled, how and when does that occur?
    We ask that registrants register at least three business days prior to the start of the class.
    Typically four days out, we check enrollment. If it does not meet your minimum, we will call
    you to let you know the enrollment number and our intention to cancel the class. Upon your
    approval, we then call already-registered class participants to let them know the class is
  15. May I go ahead and teach the class if it does not meet the minimum enrollment?
    You may elect to do that. When we call you to cancel your class, if there are several
    registrants enrolled, we will offer you that option. It is entirely up to you!
  16. What happens if I get sick and cannot teach a class?
    Typically we plan a week of make-up dates for each class session (at the end of the
    session) so that if you do get ill and must cancel, we can schedule a make-up class at the
    end of the session. We will call your class participants for you and let them know you are
    sick and give them their class make-up date. You can also schedule a substitute however
    they must be fingerprinted and cleared prior to teaching (see #20 below).
  17. Is insurance required if I offer a class?
    If the class is not offered in a City facility, a Certificate of Insurance is required naming the
    City as additionally insured for $1,000,000 for most classes and $2,000,000 for high risk classes (outdoor rock climbing and surfing). See Requirements for Certificates of Insurance. Sample insurance certificatesSample endorsement.
  18. What are the procedures should someone get injured in my class?
    Call 911. File an incident report within 18 hours with the Recreation Supervisor (Lisa
    McGinnis, fax 831-420-5271) who will forward the report to the City Risk Manager within 24 hours. 
  19. Do I need to be fingerprinted for teaching children’s classes?
    Yes. Hiring is contingent on a fingerprint clearance from the Department of Justice when
    teaching classes with students under the age of 18 with no guardian present. The City
    pays for the fingerprinting. The Human Resources Department will contact you to pick up the
    paperwork complete with locations and times of availability. The City pays for fingerprinting
    for you plus 2 additional instructors (your teaching assistants or perhaps a substitute teacher
    of your choice) per year. Teaching assistants need to be fingerprinted only if they are ever
    the sole supervisors of the students. Substitutes also need to be fingerprinted and cleared
    prior to teaching.
Last updated: 5/3/2013 8:38:59 AM