City Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goal:
Reduce community-wide greenhouse gas emissions 30% by 2020 and 80% by 2050 (compared to 1990 levels).
CHECK OUR PROGRESS:
2013 Progress Report to City Council
2014 Progress Report to City Council - coming soon
2014 is the year to Go Solar Santa Cruz!
New residential and solar PV resource materials available here!
Santa Cruz - Beacon Award for Greenhouse Gas reductions
The Beacon Award program is sponsored by the Institute for Local Government and the Statewide Energy Efficiency Collaborative. Santa Cruz was one of 30 cities honored with a 2013 Beacon - Spotlight Awards which recognize local agencies for energy efficiency, greenhouse gas reduction and best practice activity achievements. Santa Cruz was recognized as a Platinum Awardee for implementing programs that resulted in a 23% reduction in community wide greenhouse gases between 1990 and 2008.
City of Santa Cruz
Climate Action Milestones
1. Reduce Energy Use in Municipal Buildings by another 40%.
2. Expand energy efficiency programs to 50% of all homes by 2020.
3. Increase solar to 5,000 residents and 500 businesses by 2020.
4. Partner with UCSC on 25 sustainability and alternative energy research projects.
5. Encourage 20% of City residents to pledge and take action to reduce emissions 30% by 2020.
6. Ensure the rail corridor provides transit and trail service by 2020.
7. Maximize water conservation efforts and organic waste diversion by 2020.
8. Double bike ridership by 2020.
9. Switch 20% of cars to low-carbon fuels by 2020.
10. Certify another 250 Santa Cruz Green Businesses by 2020.
11. Double tree planting and expand Shop Local programs by 2020.
12. Reduce within-town car trips and single occupancy vehicle commutes 10% by 2020.
Ross Clark, Climate Change Action Coordinator
809 Center St, Room 107
Santa Cruz, CA 95060