The City of Santa Cruz living wage ordinance was adopted on October 24, 2000 (ordinance number 2000-25). The ordinance requires that persons doing work on City of Santa Cruz contracts, for services specified in the ordinance, are to be paid a living wage while working on the City of Santa Cruz contract. The ordinance does not apply to employees who are members of a collective bargaining unit, or labor union, are 17 years old or younger, or to persons in positions that are designated for “trainees” or are otherwise part of an employer’s training program. The ordinance also states that employees have the right to participate in a union, and bargain collectively without reprisal.
The ordinance requires that employees working for your firm on this contract be notified that the living wage ordinance applies to them. As part of compliance for this contract, you are required to notify affected employees.
Effective from July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015, the current rate for minimum compensation to employees is:
1. If benefits are provided, a wage of no less than $14.97 per hour.
2. If benefits are not provided, a wage of no less than $16.32 per hour.
Benefits are defined as follows:
1. A combined twelve days compensated sick and/or vacation leave annually for full-time employees, and prorated leave for employees working less than full time
2. A combined ten days uncompensated sick and/or vacation leave annually for full-time employees, and prorated leave for employees working less than full time.
3. Payment of at least $1.35 per hour towards a health insurance policy for the employee.
Also be advised that the City may request any or all certified payrolls associated with this contract, however, any such request will be made to your firm in writing and provide fourteen calendar days to respond. The City may conduct on-site audits to verify compliance. These audits may include, but are not limited to, employee interviews. View the Living Wage Compliance Statement.
Direct questions regarding this ordinance to 831-420-5080, 809 Center St Rm 101, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, or email.