CURRENT PART-TIME JOB OPENINGS
Recreation Leader II - $10.5963/hour - Position Open Until Filled
Provide programming activities and teen mentorship for the Santa Cruz Teen Center. Under supervision aids in organization, implementation, and supervision of activities, programs, and special events at the Teen Center located at the Louden Nelson Community Center at 301 Center Street. Must maintain flexibility, as the Teen Center is open Monday – Saturday, hours based on school schedules. Recreation Leader II may also work on other scheduled programs.
TYPICAL DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Assists in organizing, and implementing daily activities. Must plan and implement 1 activity/event per week.
• Supervises the maintenance of equipment, supplies, and facility; coordinates site and activities when needed with program partners.
• Prepares documents such as event flyers, program evaluation forms, publicity, permission slips etc.
• Completes department forms and reports as needed.
• Acts as cashier and makes deposits when required.
• Provides lead supervision for teen leaders, volunteer staff and program participants.
• Working knowledge of recreation programs, services and activities for teens and their appropriateness; and strong interest in working with teens and young adults.
• Interact effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals (teens, young adults, parent, business community).
• Respond calmly and effectively to spontaneous and/or emergency situations.
• Accurately prepare reports: weekly calendars, letters, program evaluation forms, memos, accident reports, parent correspondence, permission slips, etc.
• Attend all staff meetings
• Ability to work with teens & co-workers from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to enforce and explain program and facility guidelines, policies, and procedures.
• Flexibility and willingness to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to maintain neat appearance, and wear program uniform and closed toed shoes while working.
• Strong communication skills: ability to understand and give verbal and written instructions.
• Independently initiate and complete work activities.
• Effectively motivate and supervise a number of teens at one time.
• Clearance on fingerprinting of all employees is required before work begins.
• Must be 20 years old at time of hire.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or G.E.D. and 2 years of college experience.
• 1-2 years paid or unpaid experience leading activities in teen programs, activities or services in either a traditional or non-traditional recreation setting.
• Recreation, P.E. or Education/Child Development course work preferred.
• Possession and maintenance of current certification in First Aid and CPR prior to starting work.
• Proof of negative tuberculosis test or clear chest X-ray results.
OTHER HELPFUL SKILLS (not required):
• Bilingual/Bi-Cultural strongly desired
• Experience or knowledge of substance abuse issues (i.e. drugs and alcohol)
• Experience or knowledge of violence prevention issues in the youth community
• Familiarity with local community organizations and resources very useful
More questions? Email or call Robert Acosta (831) 420-5276