The Motel Improvement Pilot Program (MIPP) is a grant incentive program to help owners make exterior and interior improvements to their hospitality properties located in the Beach Area. The program collaborates with lodging operators that are committed to delivering a quality hospitality experience with a product that meets certifiable standards. This grant program aims to foster comprehensive and significant improvement projects that address the presentation of the physical environment, impact guest contact, and deliver high-quality service for an improved hospitality product.
Who May Apply
The MIPP applies to commercial lodging properties and non-homesteaded properties defined as hotel, motel, or inn located within the defined Beach Area (see the map below). The Beach Area consists of 150 acres in the Beach Hill and Beach Flats neighborhoods from Lower Pacific Avenue to the west, Beach Street to the south, 3rd Street to the east, and Laurel Street Extension to the north along the San Lorenzo River Levee. The area also includes a portion of lower Ocean Street from Broadway to the north and west, San Lorenzo Boulevard to the south, and Ocean Street to the east.
MIPP Beach Area
The MIPP funding requires the following:
- Exterior improvements making a property suitable for commercial hotel, motel or inn (including ADA accessibility requirements)
- Applicants are owners of the property for which the program funds are being sought
- Properties must not have been constructed within ten years of the application date
- First-time applicants will have priority over repeat applicants as well as priority over applicants who have already participated in the retail storefront Façade Improvement Grant Program for their motel properties with eligible retail portions.
The Economic Development Department awards limited MIPP grants on a competitive basis. Grants are paid as reimbursements, contingent upon a participant’s successful completion of the project and meeting all requirements of the grant agreement. As this is an incentive program, applications must be submitted and approved by the Agency BEFORE any reimbursable work begins. The grant funds will be distributed according to the approved grant agreement project timeline. The project timeline, including the permitting process, shall not exceed two (2) years in length and will be determined at the time of the agreement.
- Eligible applicants can receive a one-time grant of up to $100,000 for exterior property improvements when matching the grant with at least $200,000 of eligible interior improvements for the same property.
- A $15,000 optional Green Business matching grant is also available when matching the grant by a minimum of $30,000 in improvements specifically performed in order to attain Monterey Bay Area Green Business Certification in the Hotels and Hospitality category.
The additional grant may be used in conjunction with other incentive programs in the area. These additional programs may include:
If the participant elects to participate in these additional programs, documentation of improvements and proof of payment are still required to be submitted directly to the MIPP for the $15,000 Green Business optional grant.
MIPP Guidelines and Application
Full program details are available to download in the Motel Improvement Pilot Program Guidelines and Procedures and the Application Form.
If you have any questions, please contact J. Guevara by email or call (831) 420-5156.