For All Types of Examinations:
- Find out all you can about the job by reviewing the job announcement to understand what knowledge or skills might be tested.
- Dress appropriately.
- Be prompt.
For Written Exams:
- Practice with sample tests and study guides. (Many are available at book stores and libraries.)
- Listen carefully to exam instructions. (If you do not understand the instructions, ask the test proctor to explain.)
- Read each question carefully.
- Do not spend too much time on any one question.
For Oral Exams:
- Prior to the exam, think about your work experience and training, focusing on what has helped you prepare for the job.
- Practice interviewing with a friend.
- Plan a brief closing statement.
- Speak up and speak clearly.
- Be confident. You are the best person to sell yourself.
For Performance & Practical Exams:
- Sharpen your skills, practice performing tasks that are likely to be covered in the exam.
- If speed is likely to be tested, time yourself while practicing each task.