Open until filled. As soon as the vacancies are filled, this listing will be removed from the City website. Under general supervision, this position responds to customer inquiries about water, sewer, refuse, and recycling services and costs as well as the electronic bill pay website in person, over the phone, or via email and educates customers about procedures; investigates and resolves customer problems and complaints concerning water, sewer, refuse, and recycling services.
Work hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with every other Friday off; no weekends or evenings.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT:
1. A completed paper application form to the City of Santa Cruz Human Resources Department, 809 Center Street, Room 6, Santa Cruz.
2. A response, on a separate sheet, to the required supplemental questions below. Your application may not be considered if a complete response to this request is not submitted. Include as much detail as possible; consider this as a job interview. Any work experience described here should also be included in your employment history on the main application.
1. Do you possess a high school degree or equivalent: _____ Yes _____ No
2. Describe your experience working with the public, both in person and handling multi-phone lines.
3. Describe your clerical experience.
4. Describe your cashiering and/or bookkeeping experience.
5. Desirable Qualification: Bilingual ability to speak both English and Spanish. I possess this bilingual ability:
_____ Yes _____ No
(May include, but are not limited to, those duties listed below.)
· Receives, sorts, and processes daily customer service mail payments and delivers to Finance for processing.
· Takes cash payments from customers, provides correct change and receipts, balances cash drawer daily, and forwards deposit to Finance.
· Responds to customer inquiries about water, sewer, refuse, and recycling services and costs as well as the electronic bill pay website in person, over the phone, or via email and educates customers about procedures; refers customer to appropriate staff as necessary.
· Explains utility service standards, requirements, and costs to residential, commercial, and industrial customers.
· Provides information about refuse and recycling, including information and pricing on short- and long-term dumpster rentals.
· Processes sign-up, changes (customer information, fees, change in service), and cancellation of utility services for customers.
· Investigates and resolves customer problems and complaints concerning water, sewer, refuse, and recycling services.
· Prepares service orders for field personnel in Water Department, Sanitation (refuse and recycling), or Wastewater (sewer) after discussing scope of problem with customer.
· Maintains computerized records of utility customer accounts and equipment.
· Issues temporary water service for hydrant meters after approval by Engineering Section.
· Responds to phone and radio service calls.
· Checks records and forms for accuracy and completeness.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work related documents. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. The need to lift, drag and push files, paper and documents weighing up to 25 pounds is also required.
Some of the requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
· Effective customer service techniques.
· Computerized business systems applications.
· Standard office procedures, practices, and equipment.
· Basic mathematical principles.
· Basic cash handling practices and record keeping.
· Safe work practices.
· Type 30 WPM.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
· Deal tactfully with the public, in person and by telephone, in situations where relations may be strained or difficult.
· Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
· Communicate information and policies clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
· Maintain accurate records on work orders and in the computer.
· Perform basic mathematical calculations.
· Count money quickly and accurately.
· Work independently and as a member of a team.
· Maintain confidentiality.
· Use a computer to accurately input and access utility customer information.
· Read maps.
· Exercise independent judgment in applying appropriate policies and procedures.
· At least one incumbent assigned to the Utility Service Representative classification will be designated as bilingual (English/Spanish), and the incumbent must successfully pass the City of Santa Cruz bilingual examination.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience that provides the above knowledge, skills, and abilities combined with any required licenses is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications is to possess the equivalent of the following:
· High school degree or equivalent; and
· Two years of general clerical experience which included heavy public contact responsibility and some cashiering or bookkeeping responsibilities.
· Possession at time of hire and continued maintenance of a valid California driver's license and a safe driving record.
· Bilingual ability to speak and write in English and Spanish.
· One year of experience using accounting or bookkeeping software.
· Some college coursework.