Refuse carts are available in 20, 32, 68 and 96-gallon sizes, depending upon your need. You select the size when you open an account. If you wish to change the size of your refuse cart, the request must be made in writing. All customers within City limits are required to have minimum service with the City, in an effort to keep the City clean.
There is a service fee for customers who increase the size of their carts. There is no fee to downsize a cart if it has not been increased in the last 12 months.
SCMU Change of Refuse Cart Size
The refuse pickup day is assigned when the account is opened. For most customers, refuse, recycling and GreenCycle! carts are all picked up on the same day. For a very small number of customers, refuse is picked up one day and recycling and GreenCycle! carts are picked up the following day. Refuse and recycling are picked up on holidays throughout the year.
- Refuse Routes by day of the week pickup
Where to Set Cart
Refuse pickup is done in most of the City by a truck with an automated side arm that picks up the cart and dumps it. The driver does not get out of the truck. All three carts must be placed in the street with the wheels against the curb. Try to allow one foot of space between each cart. Carts may be in any order. If there is no clear space at the curb, place the refuse cart in the center of your driveway at the street. The driver will make two passes up the street. On the first pass, the refuse and GreenCycle! carts will be collected. The recycling carts will be collected on the second pass later in the morning.
Refuse Do's and Don'ts
- Have your refuse carts out by 5:00 a.m. on your pickup day.
- Limit the weight of the cart according to size.
- Recycle glass, cans, plastic, paper and newspaper in your recycling cart.
- Recycle green waste in your GreenCycle! cart.
- Place loose material such as ashes or kitty litter, sawdust, disposable diapers, in plastic bags, with ties, before placing them in refuse carts.
- Overfill the can so the lid can't close or so the material is packed too tightly.
- Put rock, cement pieces, gravel, dirt, sheet rock or lumber in refuse carts.
- Dispose of hazardous, toxic or bio-medical waste in your refuse cart.
- Leave additional refuse next to the cart because it will not be picked up.
Large containers are available for use within the City limits (see map). Containers are available in 2, 4 and 6 yard sizes for temporary use. Larger containers are available for construction use in 10, 15, 20 and 30-yard sizes.
- Rate Schedule prices and guidelines