All residential, commercial, and industrial buildings receiving water from the City of Santa Cruz are required to be retrofitted completely with low consumption plumbing fixtures at the time of sale of the property. Under City and County regulations, the seller is responsible for:
- Replacing any toilets, urinals, and showerheads that do not meet the following low consumption standards:
• Toilets: 1.6 gallons per flush
• Urinals: 1.0 gallons per flush
• Showerheads: 2.5 gallons per minute
- Arranging for an inspection by either a city Water Conservation Representative or a licensed plumbing or general building contractor, and
- Obtaining a Water Conservation Certificate from the Water Conservation Office
An option in the ordinance allows the seller to transfer the retrofit responsibility to the buyer if both parties agree to do so. The seller is required to submit a Transfer of Responsibility form to the Santa Cruz Water Department before the property is sold. The buyer has 90 days from the date of sale of the property to complete the retrofit and verify compliance.
Property owners who must replace older toilets or urinals may be eligible for City rebates. For more information, please link to our rebate website pages for businesses or residences.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Check the FAQ page for more information about the Plumbing Fixture Retrofit program.
The Water Conservation Certificate form is available from your real estate agent or at the Water Conservation Office located at 212 Locust Street, Suite B, Santa Cruz. This is a triplicate form that is not available for download. If you are a Realtor, blank forms are available at the Soquel office of the Santa Cruz Association of Realtors. Please note: we do not accept photo copy or facsimile copies of this form.
City of Santa Cruz Water Service Area Maps:
The City of Santa Cruz provides water to Live Oak and parts of Capitola and Soquel in addition to Santa Cruz. Please contact the water service supplier for the property to learn what is required for each area at time of sale.
Text of the Ordinances: