Skip to page body Home About Us What's New City Government Departments Living Visiting Doing Business I Want To...

            

 1 Small 3 Small  2 Small 

                                       

Delaveaga Park

ADDRESS: Branciforte Drive

 HOURS OF OPERATION:
Park Hours - 7 a.m. to sunset
Ballfields open to 11 p.m during games
Archery Range - Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

MAP OF DELAVEAGA PARK

AVAILABLE AMENITIES:

Picnic Areas reservable and non-reservable
Ballfieldsreservable and non-reservable
Playground equipment 
DeLaveaga Golf Course website.
Restroom, drinking fountain and phone 
Archery Range - link to Santa Cruz Archers website                                                                    Bocce Ball Courts
Disc Golf Course
 Disc Golf Annual Parking Pass Application - download the form here to apply for an annual $40 pass for the Disc Golf Course parking lot.

TRAILS: Trails are open to hikers and bicyclists. Please stay on designated trails. Trail Map.

DOG REGULATIONS: Dogs must be on a leash at all times. Dogs prohibited on athletic fields. Please call 831-420-6156 for more information.

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES: Fires, camping, littering, wood gathering, collection of plants or animals, hunting, archery except within the designated archery range. No amplified music. Excessive noise prohibited. No alcohol, except in reservable picnic areas designated and approved by the Director of the Parks and Recreation Department.

PARKING/ENTRANCES: Parking available on-site at the lower park facility and George Washington Grove, both located off of Branciforte Drive. Speed limit 15 MPH within park boundaries. Parking is very limited inside the main Delaveaga Park. Please carpool when possible or use alternate transportation.

TRAIL ENTRANCES

  • Lower park facility (near restrooms) - On-site parking available
  • Branciforte Drive (just north of Goss Avenue) - Limited parking in unimproved parking lot
  • Park Way - Limited residential street parking
  • Brookwood Drive - Limited residential street parking

DELAVEAGA PANORAMAS
Click on images below to see 360* panoramas.

DeLaveaga Park Panorama

DeLaveaga Park Photo Gallery Page

DELAVEAGA PARK HISTORY

José Vincente DeLaveaga was a successful businessman and financier from San Francisco. Born in Mexico in 1844, DeLaveaga moved with his family to San Francisco in 1868. In 1887 he bought his first piece of land in Santa Cruz and continued acquiring more parcels for the next several years. The land which is now DeLaveaga Park was a vacation spot, or hacienda, for the DeLaveagas.

José Vincente DeLaveaga was a successful businessman and financier from San Francisco. Born in Mexico in 1844, DeLaveaga moved with his family to San Francisco in 1868. In 1887 he bought his first piece of land in Santa Cruz and continued acquiring more parcels for the next several years. The land which is now DeLaveaga Park was a vacation spot, or hacienda, for the DeLaveagas.

Horses were a central part of hacienda culture, so the land was criss-crossed with bridal trails leading to La Corona, the highest peak of the estate. The picturesque location also included many interesting plants imported from Spain and Mexico and even a zoo with deer, fox, bears and buffalo.

When he died in 1894, José DeLaveaga left more than three quarters of his nearly one million dollar estate to a variety of charities ranging from orphanages to the SPCA to Golden Gate Park. In addition to his 565 acres in Santa Cruz county he left 50 acres to a proposed asylum for the hearing, speech and vision impaired and the remainder to the City and County of Santa Cruz for a public park. Unfortunately, a state law prohibited leaving more than one third of the total value of an estate to charity if there were surviving heirs, and though he was unmarried he did have next of kin including a brother, two sisters and nieces and nephews. The will was contested and a San Francisco judge entered a ruling that radically modified the will, reducing many bequests, eliminating the asylum while fortunately retaining the park. The land was officially turned over to the City and County in 1900.

Over the years, the park has provided space for many activities--an archery range, a National Guard Armory, a Boy Scout camp, the SPCA animal shelter, a stage for outdoor entertainment, trails for hiking and picnic grounds for sunny afternoons. Today, though the Boy Scout camp, the animal shelter and the zoo are long gone, DeLaveaga Park remains a park full of natural beauty and fine facilities for public use.

DeLaveaga's dream for his hacienda is a reality: a place for the public to enjoy for years to come.
Back to top

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download Flash Player Download QuickTime Download Windows Media Player Download Microsoft Silverlight Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Last updated: 6/25/2013 8:40:42 AM