Open until filled. As soon as the vacancies are filled, this listing will be removed from the website.
Under direct supervision, on a temporary or seasonal basis, performs a variety of unskilled tasks in the development and maintenance of City parks and recreational facilities including the Municipal Wharf.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT:
• A completed City application. (Paper forms required.) Fill out application online and print out or obtain a paper application form from the City of Santa Cruz Human Resources Office at 809 Center Street, Room 6, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, (831) 420-5040. Submit application to the Human Resources Office.
• A response to the supplemental questions below, on a separate sheet. Your application will not be considered if a complete response to this request is not submitted. Include as much detail as possible; consider this as a job interview. Any work experience described here must be included in the Employment History section of your job application.
1. Please list all jobs, job duties, and duration of jobs (including to/from dates and number of hours per week) which provided you with the required (paid or unpaid) manual labor experience.
2. Have you completed the eighth grade.
_____ Yes _____ No
- If you receive a conditional job offer, you will fill out a Conviction Information Form when you complete other new hire paperwork.
- For this job you will be asked to bring a DMV driving record printout with you to your new hire paperwork appointment.
TYPICAL DUTIES (May include but are not limited to the following):
• Weeds flower beds and other planting areas.
• Mows, rakes and edges lawns and turfs.
• Waters plants by hand and with irrigation systems.
• Cuts and clears weeds and brush; cleans trails.
• Hand grades terrain.
• Rakes, gathers, loads and hauls refuse, debris, brush, scrap lumber and rubble from parks and recreational facilities.
• Cleans and stocks restrooms.
• Washes windows.
• Loads, unloads and operates pick-up and light dump trucks to transport maintenance supplies and materials.
• Participates in digging, widening and backfilling trenches and other excavations.
• Uses general groundskeeping tools such as picks, shovels, hoes, rakes, shears, and edgers.
• Pick up and remove trash and debris using hand operated "grab stick".
• Remove and replace trash can liners; cleans garbage cans
• Responsible for the safe operation of tools used.
• Performs routine maintenance and repair of tools
• Prepares material requests and keeps work logs as necessary.
• Tactfully responds to questions and comments from the public or conveys information as appropriate.
• Maintain and operate light vehicles.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• safely perform heavy sustained manual labor (which involves frequent bending, pulling, pushing, lifting and carrying of up to approximately 60 pounds);
• follow oral and written instructions given in English;
• work effectively as a member of a crew;
• complete simple records in English;
• act in a courteous and diplomatic manner with members of the public.
• learn and perform simple work procedures and routines.
• learn and perform proper use of tools, supplies and equipment.
• Willingness to perform call-back duty as required.
• Willingness to work irregular shifts, holidays and weekends.
• Willingness to wear a uniform.
• Willingness to work under adverse weather conditions.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge and abilities shown is qualifying. A typical way to obtain these qualifications would be:
• Completion of the eighth grade and
• Some (paid or unpaid) manual labor experience.
Licenses (may not be required for all positions)
• Possession at time of hire and continued maintenance of a valid California Class C driver's license and a safe driving record.