There are approximately 5 on call/temporary positions to be filled. Only completed applications will all required attachments will be considered. Recruitment will close without notice; job posting will no longer appear on this website when all the positions have been filled.
To apply, submit:
- Completed City of Santa Cruz paper application form required. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of filling out application form completely.
- Response to supplemental questions on a separate sheet; this will be a primary tool in the evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Any work experience described here should also be included in your employment history on the main application.
- Do you possess a high school degree or equivalent?
- Are you willing to work irregular schedules, including evenings, weekends and holidays?
- Please list all jobs, job duties, and duration of jobs (including to/from dates and number of hours per week) which provided you with the required public contact experience.
- Please describe your computer experience including a list of computer software programs that you have used, and also indicate your proficiency level.
- Please describe any professional experience that you might have related to the parking industry.
- Please describe any experience that you have, if any, with handheld mobile network devices (e.g. IPhone, 3G phone, Windows phone etc.).
- A three year DMV driving record printout (obtained within 30 days prior to recruitment closing date) scanned and attached to online application.
a. Attach the original (not a copy) DMV driving record printout.
- Note: DMV printouts obtained online ($2.00) are not official documents and will not be accepted in lieu of official printouts. Official printouts (Form 95A) are issued by a Department of Motor Vehicles office at a cost of $5.00.
- Please refer to this link for information prior to obtaining your DMV printout: Driving Record Printouts.
Temporary Parking Enforcement Officers are:
- May be scheduled for shifts year round, typically only 4 to 8 hours per week but number of hours is not guaranteed.
- May be scheduled for an increased number of shifts May through September; no extra time off is allowed during that period.
- Limited to a maximum total or 999 hours in the fiscal year.
- Fingerprinted to check conviction history prior to starting work.
- Temporary positions are non-benefited. Be advised these temporary positions are of limited duration, and are not linked to regular positions of the same name.
Under supervision, patrols assigned areas of the City to enforce parking regulations, municipal and vehicle codes; issues citations; maintains records and performs related duties as required.
TYPICAL DUTIES (May include, but are not limited to the following):
· Patrols an assigned area of the City to observe automobiles, motorcycles, commercial vehicles and other vehicles for parking violations; enforces local regulations and ordinances and State vehicle code laws.
· Marks vehicles while operating specialized equipment.
· Issues citations for expired meters, improper use of specially designated or timed zones or lots, expired registration, improperly licensed vehicles and related violations.
· Answers a wide variety of questions from the public regarding parking and related traffic laws, location of public buildings, parks and other points of interest; interacts with hostile and irate parking violators; responds to complaints from the public.
· Immobilizes and/or arranges for towing of vehicles for delinquent parking citations.
· Maintains daily activity log.
· Conducts parking studies and prepares reports as required.
· Collects coin and makes minor repairs to parking meters.
· Participates in parking enforcement programs as directed.
Position requires sitting, standing, walking on level and uneven or slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, grasping and making repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties. The position also requires both near and far vision when inspecting parking violations and entering data into computer. The need to lift, carry and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds is also required. Additionally, the incumbent in this outdoor position works in all weather conditions, including rain, hot and cold. The job duties may expose the employee to fumes, vehicle exhaust, dust, air contaminants. The nature of the work requires the incumbent to drive motorized vehicles and work in heavy traffic conditions. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service.
Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
· Basic grammar for completing forms and reports and for communicating in a professional manner.
· Basic Computer Skills
· Follow verbal and written instructions.
· Understand, apply and explain parking rules and procedures.
· Write clear and concise records, reports, declarations, and citations.
· Work independently with minimal supervision.
· Operate a three-wheel scooter safely and in accordance with traffic laws and rules.
· Inspect all equipment and report all safety concerns immediately.
· Observe and memorize names, places and incidents.
· Learn and perform simple meter maintenance.
· Act in a courteous and effective manner when dealing with the general public
· Learn and memorize City layout, assigned schedules and routes.
· Accurately record necessary information such as license plate, location, and vehicle description.
· Tactfully communicate factual information regarding parking violations and listen to complaints of upset citizens.
· Read, interpret and apply state and municipal ordinances.
· Work hours other than 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and weekends as required.
· Wear and maintain a uniform.
· Work in all weather conditions.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities shown above is acceptable. A typical way to obtain these qualifications would be:
· High School graduation or G.E.D
· Six (6) months of public contact experience and
· Basic computer skills
· Possession at time of hire and continued maintenance of a valid California Class C driver's license and a safe driving record.
· Parking Experience
· Ability to speak Spanish
· Experience with handheld mobile network devices (e.g. IPhone, 3G phone, Windows phone etc.)