Preference will be given to candidates who also qualify for both Temporary Parking Facility Maintenance Assistant and Temporary Parking Enforcement Officer.
The HR office will be closed from 12/20/13 to 1/3/14 reopening on 1/6/14. Applications will not be accepted during office closure.
Required Education and Experience
• High school graduation or tested equivalent and a minimum of six months of experience in cash handling, retail cashiering or other similar public contact work.
To apply, submit:
- City paper application form required. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of filling out application form completely.
- Response to supplemental questions on a separate sheet. This will be a primary tool in the evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Any work experience described here should also be included in your employment history on the main application.
- 1. Do you possess a high school degree or equivalent?
2. Are you willing to work irregular schedules, including evenings, weekends and holidays?
3. Please list all jobs and job duties, with duration of jobs (including to/from dates and number of hours per week) which provided you with the required cashiering experience.
4. Please list all jobs, job duties, and duration of jobs (including to/from dates and number of hours per week) which provided you with the required public contact experience.
5. Please list computer software programs that you have used and indicate your proficiency level.
Temporary Parking Attendants are:
- May be scheduled for some shifts year round, typically only 4 to 8 hours per week but no number of hours is guaranteed.
- May be scheduled for an increased number of shift hours May through September. No extra time off is allowed during that period.
- Limited to a maximum total of 999 hours in the fiscal year.
- Fingerprinted to check conviction history prior to starting work.
- Temporary positions are non-benefited. Be advised these temporary positions are of limited duration, and are not linked to regular positions of the same name.
Under supervision, collects parking fees, oversees parking of vehicles, greets visitors and provides information, enforces parking regulations, provides limited security, acts as lead worker for temporary parking attendants, and performs other related duties as assigned.
•Oversees the parking of vehicles at various City locations; operates barrier gates.
• Collects parking fees; advises patrons of parking fees; operates computerized fee machines; receives payment and makes correct change.
• Balances cash drawer/register, prepares bank deposits, and completes receipt reports.
• Resolves discrepancies in bank deposits and daily receipt reports.
• Issues citations for parking violations; advises patrons of parking regulations.
• Provides information and assistance to motorists and tourists.
• Assists in training and serves as lead worker to temporary parking attendants.
Position requires sitting, standing, walking on level and uneven or slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, grasping and making repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties. The incumbent in this position works in all weather conditions, including wet, hot and cold. The job duties may expose the incumbent to fumes, dust, vehicle exhaust, biomedical, human and animal waste products and unpleasant odors. The nature of this work also requires the incumbent to work in heavy traffic conditions. The need to lift, carry and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds is also required. Additionally, the incumbent may work alone in a kiosk. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
· Accurately make basic mathematical calculations and make correct change.
· Understand, enforce and clearly explain local and state laws relating to parking.
· Greet visitors, respond to inquiries and give directions.
· Act in a courteous manner when dealing with the public and with fellow employees.
· Learn to make minor mechanical repairs on equipment.
· Follow written and verbal instructions.
· Maintain accurate records of daily receipts and prepare reports.
· Work alone and/or on irregular schedules, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
· Wear and maintain a uniform.
· Work in all weather conditions.
Possession at time of hire and continued maintenance of a valid California Class C driver's license and a safe driving record.
• Ability to speak Spanish
• Basic computer skills