Skip to page body Home About Us What's New City Government Departments Living Visiting Doing Business I Want To...
News Review
Structure Fire - 416 Center St
Posted Date: 1/28/2014

What-Nature of Event:

Residential Structure Fire

When-Time and Date:

9:04 P.M. January 28, 2014

Where-Address of Event:

416 Center Street

Who-Owner / Occupant:

 

Describe the Event: 

At 9:04 P.M. Santa Cruz Fire Department responded to a reported residential Victorian on fire. Upon the arrival of fire crews, they found smoke coming from the first floor windows on one side of the house. The building was a 2 story Victorian with multiple apartments inside. The residences stated that the fire was on the first floor and that no one was home but a dog may be inside. Crews entered the first floor with hose lines and found the apartment completely filled with smoke and fire extending up the walls in the living room. Crews extinguished the fire and opened the walls and ceiling to check for hidden fire. Additional crews were sent in to search the first and second floors for any victims. Crews were able to locate the dog in a downstairs bathroom and reunited it with its owners. The dog was found conscious and in good shape. Crews also checked the second story walls and ceiling for any possible fire extension. Victorians commonly have no fire stops in the walls enabling fire to spread rapidly through the walls into the attic. No injuries to firefighters or the occupants. The occupants were unable to reenter the residence due to smoke and heat damage along with the electrical disconnected. The cause of the fire appears to have started by objects that had fallen off a cabinet onto a wall heater catching those items and book shelf next to the heater on fire. The fire was accidental in nature.

 

Agencies Involved:

Santa Cruz Fire & Police, AMR, PG$E

Number of Apparatus:

4 engines, 1 truck, 1 Battalion Chief

Number of Firefighters: 

17

Estimated Loss & Save

Damage to the structure and belongings $100,000 Saved 1.5 Million

Additional Information: 

Smoke detectors were working in the residence helping to alert the occupants to evacuate.

 

By:

Battalion Chief Mike Venezio

Date:

January 28, 2014