Open until filled. This job posting will no longer appear on this website when the recruitment closes.
Santa Cruz Municipal Utilities is seeking candidates for a temporary position providing office support to Customer Service staff. Candidates must be available to work Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 12:00pm, and 12:30pm to 5:00pm. The job may last up to 6 months or may end sooner. Candidates must be available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week with an opportunity to work up to 40 hours per week to meet increased office workloads.
To apply, please submit:
• A completed City application (paper forms required). Fill out the application online and print out or obtain an application from the City of Santa Cruz Human Resources Office at 809 Center Street, Room 6, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, (831) 420-5040. Submit the application to the Human Resources Office.
• A response, on a separate sheet, to the supplemental questions below. Your application will only be considered along with a complete response to these questions. Include as much detail as possible; consider this as a job interview. (Note: A “No” response to the first question may eliminate your application from consideration.) Any work experience described here must be included in the Employment History section of your job application:
1. Do you possess a high school diploma or equivalent?
2. Please list all jobs, job duties, and duration of jobs (including number of hours per week) which provided you with the required clerical experience.
3. Please describe your computer experience including a list of computer software programs that you have used.
4. Please describe your public contact experience.
Santa Cruz Municipal Utilities (SCMU) provides customer service for water, sewer, and refuse services within the City limits, and for water services only outside the City limits.
Under general supervision, the Utility Service Assistant supports SCMU staff with basic office duties such as maintaining the customer service lobby, sending informational mailers to new customers, maintaining customer service forms, filing service applications and work orders, processing returned mail, updating utility accounts, sorting daily mail payments, responding to phone messages, and assisting walk-in customers with use of lobby kiosk.
It is a requirement of the City of Santa Cruz that all temporary employees who work with credit card transactions and handle cash undergo fingerprint screening prior to hire.
• High school diploma
• One year of general clerical experience including some experience with Microsoft Office
• Public contact experience in an office setting
• Cash-handling experience
Typical Duties include:
• Open, close, and maintain SCMU Customer Service lobby
• Assemble and send informational mailers to new customers
• Maintain supply of all internal and external Customer Service forms
• Sort and file service applications and work orders
• Process returned mail and update utility accounts
• Open and sort daily SCMU mail payments
• Receive, respond and relay daily afterhours phone messages
• Assist walk-in customers with use of lobby kiosk
• File alphabetically and numerically
• Spell correctly and write legibly
• Follow instructions both orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Act in a courteous manner when dealing with the public
• Communicate effectively
• Take initiative, work independently and use good judgment
• Familiarity with the Internet and Microsoft Office