Open until 5:00 pm Friday 7/12.
Submit your résumé and cover letter at time of application.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT:
• A completed City application. (Paper forms required.) Fill out application online and print out or obtain a paper application form from the City of Santa Cruz Human Resources Office at 809 Center Street, Room 6, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, (831) 420-5040. Submit application to the Human Resources Office.
• Résumé and Cover Letter
The City of Santa Cruz Water Department Engineering Section provides engineering, planning, and project design for construction of necessary water facilities and installation of water saving technologies; keeps current with new technologies and water quality issues, remaining sensitive to mitigation of environmental impacts; reviews all requests for water services; and maintains records of facilities, installations and maps. Engineering also oversees the Backflow Prevention Program.
The City of Santa Cruz Water Department (SCWD) is looking for a motivated GIS intern who is able to leverage and build upon existing GIS skills while working in a dynamic team environment. The successful candidate will assist with updating and performing quality control review of the SCWD infrastructure geodatabase. Under supervision, interns will perform updates to the SCWD infrastructure, link record drawings to GIS features, and complete other duties as assigned. Applicants should have proficiency with basic GIS concepts for data review, metadata creation and editing, as well as spatial analysis to generate new data sets. The capacity to learn new processes are critical, as well as being able to contribute to Engineering staff discussions with knowledge of GIS concepts and experience. This position will provide exposure to a wide variety of GIS data sets and offer a unique experience to work hands on with Water Engineering staff to learn how GIS data is used in a municipal utility department’s engineering, field construction and maintenance environments. This position is part-time (20 hours per week) with work schedule to be determined with intern’s availability; and will run for 6 months. This is a non-benefited position.
• Coursework from an accredited college or university with major focus in GIS.
• 1-2 years of experience with GIS principles and practices in a college setting.
• Experience with the ESRI ArcGIS suite of software products 10.x is required.
• Knowledge of basic geography principles is preferred.
• Good analytical and proofreading skills.
• Hands on experience manipulating text files, Excel sheets, databases (at least familiarity with Access and database concepts).
• Good written and communication skills.