Captain Corps Packets -Now Available
Captain Corps Application Packet - Now Available
CAPTAIN CORPS I - 15 - 17 yrs - 8 wks
CAPTAIN CORPS II - 16 - 17 yrs (RETURNING CAPTAINS ONLY) - 8 wks.
CAPTAIN CORPS II (RETURNING CAPTAINS ONLY) - Captain Corps II was developed for 16 - 17-year-olds who want a more in-depth experience in public safety and USLA beach lifeguarding. 4 Captain Corps II volunteers will be selected. The tryout test is more stringent for Captain Corps II candidates. Morning workouts, volunteering at Junior Guard competitions, volunteering for Fire Department, Marine Safety Division (sitting towers, ride-alongs at the beach and at the Fire Station) are part of the program. Each Captain must attend 5 mornings a week and commit to volunteering a minimum of 20 hrs/wk, for both sessions June 18 - July 13 & July 23- August 17. Uniform T-shirt provided. Captain Corps members must wear black trunks or swimsuits.
- Tryouts: March 3 or March 10, 7:30am check-in at LGHQ, tryouts begin at 8:00am. Physical test:1000-meter swim in 20 min. or less, run-swim-run (200-400-200) in 10 min.
- Interviews: Candidates who successfully pass the physical tryout must schedule an interview on the following Sunday, March 4 or March 11, between 1pm – 6pm. Interview location: Fire Administration, 230 Walnut Ave.
- Mandatory Training: Monday, June 11 and Tuesday June 12, 9:00am-2:00pm. Location: Police Community Rm.155 Center St. Additional training: weekends in May if space is available which includes a FREE CPR PRO re-cert class and Title-22 First Aid.
CAPTAIN CORPS I - is a volunteer program for 15 - 17 year-old boys and girls who have a minimum of one season experience as a participant in the Santa Cruz Junior Lifeguard Program.
Captain Corps are volunteers who function as role models for the Junior Guard and Little Guard participants and assist program instructors in the afternoons by providing aquatic safety through participation, education and a positive learning environment. Each Captain must attend 5 mornings a week and commit to volunteering a minimum of 20 hrs/wk, for one or both sessions (June 18 - July 13 and/or July 23 - August 17). Uniform T-shirt provided. Captain Corps members must wear black trunks or swimsuits.
- Captain I Tryouts:
- Saturday, April 21 2018 -Meet & check-in at 8:00am @ LGHQ, Physical test begins at 8:30 am. Physical test - 500-meter ocean swim in 10 minutes or less.
- Additional tryout date! – Wed. May 9 2018, check-in at 3:30pm @ LGHQ, Physical Test begins at 4pm. Physical test - 500-meter ocean swim in 10 minutes or less.
- Complete CityServe Jr. Volunteer application required to tryout.
- Interviews: Candidates who successfully pass tryouts on 4/21/18 will be asked to schedule an interview that day, starting at 10:00am. Interviews will take place at the Parks and Recreation Office, 323 Church St. Additional interviews will be on 5/9/18 starting at 5pm.
- Mandatory Training: CPR PRO Class: Mon. June 11, 9AM – 2PM at Defib This. Capt/JG Instructor training Tue. June 12, 8am – 12pm, Police Dept. Community Room, 155 Center St.
- PLEASE NOTE: Captain Corps I applicants MUST pay and register in their appropriate age group for Junior Guards (A’s or AA’s) to participate in tryouts. Successful candidates will receive a refund if selected as a Captain Corps I.
APPLICATION PACKETS IN 2018:
- Parks and Recreation Office, 323 Church Street, M – F, 8am – 5pm
BRING a complete CityServe Jr. Volunteer application packet to tryouts!