Available Services During Shelter-In-Place Orders
We are now providing services through alternative means, such as via:
- webinar meets,
- and online submittal.
Please see the divisions listed below for more details about their available services, submittal instructions for Planning and Building, and contact information.
Shelter-In-Place Orders and Construction
As of May 1, 2020, the County Public Health Officer removed limitations for Essential Construction Requirement, and placed requirements on construction sites in order for construction to continue. Review the County of Santa Cruz Order, which is effective at 11:59pm on 5/1/20, to learn more about allowed construction activity, social distancing protocol, and other associated site requirements. All Health Orders can be reviewed on the County Public Health Officer's web page.
Planning Division Current Service Delivery Practice
Public Counter service is currently closed, but we are still here to help you. Please visit the Planning division webpage for more information about available services.
Building & Safety Current Service Delivery Practice
Public Counter service is currently closed, but we are still here to help you. Please visit the Building & Safety Division webpage for information on how to submit permits and more.
Public Counter service is currently closed, but we are still here to help you. Currently, all code property violations can still be reported online. Code Inspectors are only inspecting for Priority 1 and 2 complaints. Visit the code compliance page for more information as to what qualifies as a Priority 1 and 2 complaint.
You can reach the code compliance team via alternative means through email and phone.
CODE EMAIL: email@example.com
CODE PHONE: (831) 420-5111
All rental inspections scheduled are cancelled until further notice. The Rental Team will reschedule those once we know more information as to the status of the Coronavirus.
Public Counter service is currently closed, but we are still here to help you. For other rental needs, such as updating information or changing ownership, or if you wish to have your rental inspection, please email or call the rental line.
RENTAL EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
RENTAL PHONE: (831) 420-5140
New Business License or are Changing Use, please do the following:
- Fill out your Business License Application
- Complete your Zoning Clearance Form
- Email your application and zoning clearance form to email@example.com to begin the first part of the process: obtaining a zoning clearance
- OR schedule an appointment with a Planner to obtain a zoning clearance and business license: (831)420-5100.
- Mail your renewal to Finance: 333 Front Street, Suite 200, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
In order to keep the community and employees safe, we would like to encourage online payments, where available, and mail in payments.
- Drop Box: located near Room 101 at 809 Center Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
- Mail: 809 Center Street, Room 101, Santa Cruz CA 95060
All payments typically made in-person in Room 101 with the Planning & Community Development department can be paid over the phone by calling (831) 420-5100 Monday through Thursday from 8:00am - Noon and from 1:00pm - 3:00pm.
Specific Payments and How to Submit:
Rental Services: Mail In or Drop Box near Room 101 (No Cash, Check only for drop box).
Business License Renewals without changes: Online or Drop Box near Room 101 (No Cash, Check only for drop box). If you do not have an Etrakit log in or need assistance contact the Finance Department.
Transient Occupancy Tax:
- Pay on-line at https://tot.cityofsantacruz.com/primeweb
- Mail to City of Santa Cruz at 333 Front Street, Suite 200, Santa Cruz, CA 95060.
- Check only payments may be placed in the drop-box located outside of the City’s Planning Department at 809 Center Street, Room 101.
- Credit card payments may be made by phone Monday – Thursday from 8:00 AM – Noon and from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM by calling the City’s Planning Department at (831)420-5100.Credit card payments will be assessed a 3% convenience fee.
If you have any TOT or Business License questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rent: Mail In or Drop Box near Room 101 (No Cash, Check only for drop box).
Welcome to the Planning & Community Development Department. Our mission is to enhance quality of life, safety, and civic pride for our community by providing land use and development guidance through responsive, respectful, and efficient public service. The services listed below are to guide you to the resources and information you may need.
- Register your long-term or short-term rental with Rental Inspection Services
- Schedule or Confirm an Inspection
- Submit a Property Complaint and learn about Complaint Response and Topics
- Submit an Open Records Request for Planning & Community Development Related Documents
- Learn more about existing policy and ordinance updates, such as accessory dwelling unit information, with Long-Range Planning
Take our survey to share your experience with us.
Not finding what you need? Feel free to call or email us.