Welcome to the City of Santa Cruz project page for the Front St/Riverfront project. Here you will find information about this project including the projects description, plan set, and future meetings relating to this project. You can also contact the City Project Planner by using the Question or Comment section below.
APN: 005-151-39, -22, -30, -31, -50
Coastal Permit, Historic and Non-Residential Demolition Authorization Permits, Design Permit, Tentative Map, Special Use Permit, Administrative Use Permit, Revocable License for Outdoor Extension Area, Heritage Tree Removal Permit, and Street Tree Removal to remove one street tree and two heritage trees, to combine five parcels, demolish two historic commercial buildings including one of which is listed on the City's Historic Building Survey, and construct a seven-story, mixed-use building with 175 residential condos (15 of which will be affordable to incomes at 50% AMI, 5 at 80% AMI) and 11,498 square feet of ground floor and levee front commercial space on property located within the CBD/CZ-O/FP-O zone district and within the Front Street/Riverfront subarea of the Downtown Plan. The project requires approval of a Section 408 Permit from the US Army Corps of Engineers to allow for the placement of fill between the levee and the proposed building and to allow for the development of an outdoor extension area adjacent to the Riverway path.
This project requires review by the Historic Preservation Commission and the Planning Commission, who will provide recommendations to the City Council for final action. Stay up to date on when this project will be scheduled for Historic Preservation, Planning Commission and City Council meetings by signing up below in the Stay Informed section.
Project Status: Application Submitted/Under Review
Principal Planner: Samantha Haschert
Public Hearing Schedule
This project is scheduled to be presented to the Historic Preservation Commission on August 5, 2020. To review the agenda when it is available, visit the Historic Preservation Commission page. Meeting agendas and information are typically posted the Friday before the meeting.
A community meeting was held on Monday July 1, 2019 to allow for the project applicant, project architect, and city planning staff to gather feedback from the public. Thirty-two people attended the meeting and included surrounding business owners, residents, and property owners, as well as one member of the Planning Commission.
EIR Scoping MeetingAn Environmental Impact Report (EIR) Scoping meeting was held on December 4, 2019 at 5:30 pm in the multi-purpose room of the Louden Nelson Center, located at 301 Center Street in Santa Cruz.
View from the River
View from Front Street
- Notice of Completion & Environmental Document Transmittal
- Notice of Preparation of Environmental Impact Report
- Notice of Availability Riverfront 5-8-20
- 00 Cover-Title Page DEIR
- 0 Table of Contents DEIR
- 1 Introduction DEIR
- 2 Summary DEIR
- 3 Project Description DEIR
- 4 Envir Eval Introduction DEIR
- 4.1 Biological Resources DEIR
- 4.2 Cultural Resources DEIR
- 4.3 Geology and Soils DEIR
- 4.4 Energy DEIR
- 4.5 Land Use DEIR
- 5 CEQA Considerations DEIR
- 6 Project Alternatives DEIR
- 7 References DEIR
- Appendix A - NOP Responses
- Appendix B - Environmental Checklist
- Appendix C - Historical Significance Diagrams
- Appendix D - Energy Calculations
Reports and Analysis
- 418 and 428 Front Street Historic Alternatives Analysis Memo
- 418 and 428 Front Street Historic Resource Memorandum
- 418 and 428 Front Street Historic Resource Memorandum Significance Diagrams
- 418 Front DPR Form 523A
- 428 Front DPR Form 523A
- 504 Front St. Historic Evaluation - Past Consultants - 2-28-2020
- Environmental Noise Assessment (Salter)
- Federally-Listed Species Assessment, San Lorenzo Levee Fill Placement
- Geotechnical Consultation re Foundations and Soil Improvement (Rockridge)
- Geotechnical Eval re Seepage and Slope Stability (AECOM)
- Geotechnical Investigation (TRC)
- Historic Constructability Evaluation (FBA)
- Structural Analysis re Historic Buildings for Demo (FBA)
- Tree Resouce Analysis (Fouts)
- Tree Resource Analysis Site Plan
If you would like to be updated on project related information and meetings please enter your information below to be added to the mailing list. The specific categories, listed below, will keep you posted on this specific project whether its an update about revised plans, or an upcoming meeting.