COVID-19 UPDATE | The City is coordinating closely with our public health officials at the Santa Cruz County Health Department to prevent the further spread COVID-19. In an effort to protect you and our community, changes and measures have been adopted in daily operations and activities. For further details please click here for the City’s Response to COVID-19

Types of Permits

City of Santa Cruz Department of Public Works issues four kinds of permits to qualified applicants:

The City of Santa Cruz Public Works Department issues permits according to the following procedure to ensure an efficient, diligent, and safe process for all parties involved. Permits must be issued in advance of any work taking place or any infringement of the public right-of-way.  Please review the following information and have all the necessary documents prepared before calling or coming into the Public Works office to apply for a permits.

Procurement Process

The Contractor must apply for the permit in person at the Public Works office. All required insurance coverage (as shown on COI) must be submitted with the complete information before any permits will be issued or any work in the public right-of-way begins.

Permits can be obtained in person or over the phone at the DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS main office:


The office is open:

Monday through Friday

7:30AM – 12:00PM

1:00PM – 3:30PM


809 Center Street, Room 201

Santa Cruz CA 95060

Phone (831) 420-5160

FAX (831) 420-5161


Our office accepts:

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Checks

Permits can also be obtained over the phone or via email. Call our main office to be connected with a member of our counter staff for remote assistance.


On-site inspections by the City Inspector are required for any work under a Street Opening Permit, Concrete Permit, or Temporary Encroachment Permit. It is the Contractor’s responsibility to contact the City Inspector (Miguel Lizarraga, 831-420-5176) 24 hours in advance to schedule an inspection. The inspection is covered under the cost of the permit.

blueprintSpecial Permits
Upper Park RoadStreet Opening Permits or Sewer Repair Permits
Closeup concreteConcrete Permits
pavingTemporary Encroachment Permits
no parkingTemporary No Parking Permits

Insurance Requirements – What is required on the Certificate of Insurance (COI)


Street Opening Permit

Or Sewer Repair Permit

Concrete Permit

Temporary Encroachment Permit

*General Liability


(General Aggregate: $2,000,000)


(General Aggregate: $2,000,000)


Automobile Liability



Not Required

**Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability



Not Required


*General Liability policy must include an endorsement naming the City of Santa Cruz, its officers, officials, employees, agents, and volunteers as additional insured. Endorsement will be separate (on a separate form) from the Certificate of Insurance – listing on the certificate alone is not sufficient.

**Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability policy needs to have a waiver of subrogation endorsement (at least for employees while engaged in work under the city contract). Endorsement will be separate (on a separate form) from the Certificate of Insurance – listing on the certificate alone is not sufficient. Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability is not required for a sole proprietor Contractor with no employees. Sole proprietor must fill out Workers’ Compensation Coverage Exemption Declaration & Indemnity Agreement form.

Please use the following language in the appropriate boxes on the Certificate of Insurance:

 Traffic Control Plans

Permits for construction in the public right of way require a City approved traffic control plan showing the intended placement of all necessary signage and traffic control devices used to direct traffic around the site.

Traffic control plans should:

  • Conform to the CA Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CA MUTCD) (see Part 6 - Temporary Traffic Control)
  • Be designed by a responsible representative of the permit applicant knowledgeable in the principles of proper temporary traffic control
  • Clearly show the work area
  • Include traffic control provisions to accommodate pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic that may be affected
  • Show any “no parking” areas needed to accommodate traffic and work in the work zone
  • If construction requires multiple phased traffic control configurations, a TCP for each phase should be submitted.

Permit Fees:

Type of permit Fee

Permit Fee

Street Opening Permit


Sewer Repair Permit- New Development


Sewer Repair permit – Repair existing connection


Concrete Construction Permit


Temporary Encroachment Permit


Regular Encroachment Permit


Fee for unpermitted work

Additional 100% of permit fee

City of Santa Cruz Business Tax Certificates

Contractor will maintain a current City of Santa Cruz business tax certificate if:

  • Contractor is located in the City of Santa Cruz; or
  • Contractor performs physical work in the City of Santa Cruz for 6 or more days annually; or
  • Contractor uses company vehicles to deliver within the City of Santa Cruz for 6 or more days annually.

If you need to obtain a City of Santa Cruz business licensees please contact the City of Santa Cruz Finance Department at

City of Santa Cruz

Finance Department